Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve lobe stuck in shim bucket

Hi Folks,

I'm in the middle of changing out the shims on my 82 gs650g. I decided to avoid buying the special tool and opted instead for the zip tie method. Well, it definitely works in getting the shim out. After pulling the shim out I pulled the zip tie out and went to rotate the engine so I could insert the zip tie in a new location and pull another shim. As I rotated, I felt it get stuck. Well, it turns out that the lobe (highest part) ended up going into the shim bucket as I rotated, but is getting stuck on the edge as it tries to rotate out. Any ideas on how to work around this? Am I doing things in the wrong order?

My plans were to pull all the shims, make a note of what was in there, then go to the dealer to swap them out for the appropriate ones.

As usual, thanks for your help.

-Daniel

Whoa!!! One shim at a time....

Go to basscliff's site and read the instructions. You may have damaged the cam and or bucket. Check them carefully and go from there.
    Last edited by Ghostgs1; 05-03-2012, 07:34 PM.
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

You can't rotate the the cams without shims of some sort in the buckets. You can damage the bucket or the cams, as you are discovering. Read the procedure for this job over again, save yourself some grief.

Comment

Live and learn. Luckily I did not torque it too much before I realized what was going on. I figured I'd pull them all, plug values into spreadsheet, go to the shop (on bicycle since motorcycle is not operable) and pick up new shims, and get them all done at once. Hopefully I have not caused damage, wont know until I manage to get that thing out of there.

Learn from my mistakes, fellow newbs.

Comment

I'd rotate it back the way it came from, pluck the shim out and continue. Measure the clearance, pull the shim out to measure it's thickness, put it back in and go on to the next one. Figure out with can be swapped and what you need to buy, then go to the shop to get the parts.

Hopefully you didn't hurt anything, check for bits of steel scraped off somewhere, or a bent bucket that can't rotate freely anymore.
          Slow down when reading the directions, there are warnings all over the place about turning the crank while any shims are out...
          Unless you are getting your instructions from Clymer's?
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You'll have to pull the cam off to get it out of that bucket
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I managed to use a heavy duty zip tie to hold the bucket down as I rotated the lobe out, then I put shim back in. I can't begin to say how P-O'ed I am at myself right now.

Here is a picture of the sustained damage:

So, how bad does it look?

Comment

Just check it for loose bits of steel.

Comment

To add insult to injury, I went to my local suzuki dealer to pick up some shims, and they wanted about $13 a piece. As it turns out, I could not fit the .03mm between any of the lobes and shims, so I need 8 of them. Last I check, 8x$13 is not cheap! I guess I'll have to order them online and put the tools away for a while.

Comment

Talk to Ray, he runs the shim club on this site.

He grinds them down himself.

Look for ghostGS1 or something like that.

$13 is highway robbery.

Comment

perfect, thanks!

Comment

Before you go ordering any shims from anybody, do your inventory, one at a time. You may find that you can move some of your shims around and only have to order a couple of them.

The shim club is a good place to trade shims, but if you want to slowly build up your own supply, Z1 has sthe best prices around at less than $6 each.

Last edited by Steve; 05-03-2012, 11:52 PM.
                        sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What about the cam damage? Will it be ok to run it like that?
                          sigpic

82 GS850
                          78 GS1000
                          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                          .................________-|___\____
                          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Usually just a bit of the very edges get a little scuffed from the rim of the bucket. Doesnt pose any problems. Now if theres some scars on the actual contact surface of the lobe, then thats another animal entirely.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

This.

Figure out what you have first. Buy or borrow some digital calipers; invariably a few of the markings are going to be worn off. The conventional wisdom says if you can't get the .03mm feeler in there, but the bucket will turn with relative ease, then there's some gap in there - it's just less than 0.03mm! So going down one size on the shim (or one and a half if you're replacing an x size) will land you from 0.05-0.09, which is just fine (a little loose is OK, tight is bad - I've heard tales told of running them to 0.11mm with no ill effects). If you have say a 2.65x and replace with a 2.60 you could be 0.02mm start gap + 0.07mm drop = 0.09mm.

If the bucket won't turn, you might have to drop 2 sizes.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Before you go ordering any shims from anybody, do your inventory, one at a time. You may find that you can move some of your shims around and only have to order a couple of them.

The shim club is a good place to trade shims, but if you want to slowly build up your own supply, Z1 has sthe best prices around at less than $6 each.

Comment

Working...
                              X