shifting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shifting problems

I have a hard time shifting into 3rd gear sometimes (75% of the time). to get it into 3rd gear i have to use my heel and kick it into 3rd. going into 5th is also difficult but not as bad. dowmshifting from 6th into 5th takes two times pushing down on the lever to downshift.
    I have read that this might be a clutch adjustment problem? my shift linkage is sloppy, would this cause this problem? i am hoping this problem is something other than internal wear on the shift forks. let me know what to do here. thanks

A lot of us never use the clutch to shift, it's probably not a clutch issue. Maybe a shifter return spring thing? Something to do with the shift drum? Maybe a fork, dunno. Shift linkage might have something to do with it, it's an easy place to start.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Make sure your shift lever is lined up correctly where it attaches to the spindle. And yea, go through the clutch adjustment process thoroughly.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Usally you don't see too many issues with bent shift forks in your higher gear ranges. Most of the time they are lower gears, 1 n 2 as shifting from 1 to 2 can get in "n" at times and then people panic shift to 2nd and force the issue.

I would first check what Kent mentioned about the shifter return sping, see if the shift arm returns to normal after shifting. I have seen a few times where the seal is hard and dirty, not allowing the shifter to "reset".

Comment

as it turned out that the sloppy gearshifter linkage was the problem. the pressed in posts were loose, so i took off the shifter and linkage hammered the back of the posts and re-installed and the shifting if now perfect.

Comment

Working...
          X