Rattle in 4th gear? Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattle in 4th gear? Newbie

Hi, I'm new to the forum, I just bought a 1979 GS1000e. Its my first bike thats titled to me, but have been riding for a few years on my dad's '83 GS850.

I took it for a test drive, runs beautifully, 12k, came with a full vetter setup got it for a steal of $550. So here's the problem, I was driving home with my roommate following me in the car. Coming up to a stoplight it turns yellow and my roommate won't make it, so I take a right and think I've downshifted to 3rd when in actuality its still in fourth. I rev it too high and let out the clutch too fast and there was a loud clunk. Afterwards I have a constant rattle in fourth. Is this a fork or synchro problem? What would be my plan of attack? It does not rattle in 3rd and it does not in 5th. Any direction or advice would be great.

Thanks in advance!

I've ridden motorcycles and worked on cars, but have not worked on a motorcycle past changing plugs, filter and oil. Any help would be great!

Oye... you've sheered a few teeth by the sounds of it, or severely bent a fork.

Don't ride it anymore.

Drop the exhaust and oil pan and see if there is any debris in the motor. You've got an expensive problem on your hands in either case if you can't do the work yourself.

By work, I mean pulling the motor, splitting the cases, and replacing transmission parts.

Comment

Well it seems like i've got a job before me. I'm eager to learn and become more experienced. I'm still young and its my first bike so its a good one to learn on. I'm about to graduate college in 4 days and get married in 19 days. I'll talk to the dealer and see what there opinion is, and a friend of mine who is a motorcycle mechanic. So after I graduate I'll dig into it when I have the weekend. With finals this week, it'll have to wait. Thanks for your insight!

Comment

Quick question, if I pull the pan. Take a magnet around to check for debris, and find that I did shear a couple teeth off. Will I be able to ride it after i remove the debris and just skip fourth gear?

Same question with a bent fork. Will it still be rideable if I skip over 4th? Or will this cause more damage? I've got a trailer lined up to bring it home, as i'm at school now. Thanks for help in advance.

and I ordered a manual today! Super jacked to dig into and learn!

Comment

Man, I've shifted wrong a thousand times and never broke anything, that doesn't sound right. How violently did you screw up this downshift? Have someone experienced with these bikes test it out a little before you take anything apart.
          Post a location, there is probably a GSR member nearby who would love to help.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. jnthnback,

Please don't take your bike to the dealer. With the information in the links below and help from the members of this forum, you can do the work yourself, do it right, and not let any dealer hack ruin your bike and charge you and arm and leg for it.

Congratulations both for graduation and your incumbent wedding.

Now let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Man, I've shifted wrong a thousand times and never broke anything, that doesn't sound right. How violently did you screw up this downshift?
              Those transmission internals are quite stout. http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...o/IMG_2690.jpg

Possibly a bent fork?
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                Those transmission internals are quite stout. http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...o/IMG_2690.jpg

Possibly a bent fork?
                Maybe a busted tine on one of the forks? If he heard a clunk THAT bad, and now hears rattles... the thing's got to be opened up regardless.

Comment

Maybe, maybe not.
                  That's why someone familiar with the bike should check it out.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Wow! I've been a part of several car forums, but never gotten such a quick response. Thanks for your help.

Yeah it definitely was not my proudest motorcycle riding moment. I screwed it up pretty solidly. Just before getting married I was hoping to have a pretty relaxing time riding but it looks like i'll have to relax in the shop for awhile before that happens

The goal is to have it hauled home to where I have access to a shop and delve into it starting this Sunday/saturday night. Hopefully my manual will be in by then.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2012, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Okay so I changed the oil and ran a magnet through it to see if there were any particles and it came back free and clear. That's good. I have the oil pan gasket and will be working on pulling that off and checking it. I had it on the stand and realized that the chain is very loose so I'll be adjusting that and also going through the steps for Brian's E-Z and fun plan for GS850 happiness, sealing the airbox, plugs, valve clearances, and exhaust seals. Thats on my list. Now if I could only find where I put that manual....

Comment

Until you find it, there's an electronic copy on BassCliffs website.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Update: I adjusted the chain which was very very loose, I don't think it had been adjusted in a very very long time. Adjusting the chain took care of a lot of noise. Yet it still rattles in fourth. And I can tell it is more noticeable coming on the left side. I'm getting married this next Saturday and will not have time in the next month with the honeymoon and starting a new job to get into it. I'm thinking that I'm gonna have to pull the engine and split the case. I can still shift past fourth into fifth.

I need it at the moment to get to work. I'd be driving in town and wouldn't need to go above 3rd. Will there be lasting damage if the fork is bent or if one of the dogs are busted?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                            Until you find it, there's an electronic copy on BassCliffs website.

Thanks for the info! Got it! And I found my other manual!

Comment

Working...
                            X