Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay gonna do it now sprockets and chain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay gonna do it now sprockets and chain.

Well...just discovered my shocks are somewhat toast and ordered some new Progressives. I was looking at my chain and noticed it had a couple tight links it in already, sooooooo, decided to go ahead with the conversion from 630 to 530. Here is what I came up with:
    630 set up, ratio is 2.73 with a 15 front and 41 rear
    530 set up, ratio is 2.72 with a 18 front and 49 rear
    630 is 96 links and the 530 is 110. Though I need the 6mm spacer no?
    I don't believe I can get any closer to my stock ratio then I have here.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

You're going to need more 530 chain links with those sprockets - more like 116 or 118

Jeff at Z! will steer you straight on this
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

2 Things...

1- Just converted mine to 17/42 off of 15/41 thinking itd be a direct swap. Nope. The 17 front is the same diameter as the 15 (630) sprocket... but the rear 42 (530) is about 2.5" in diameter smaller than the stock 41 (630).

2- My kit came with a 106L 530 chain... it was 4 links too short.

The thing you need to keep in mind is that youre drastically shrinking your chain size and the ratios wont stay the same by teeth because there is now more tooth per inch than in the 630 series.

Your ratios are right... but youll need a 120L 530 chain to fit.

Comment

Yep the guys are right, I went with the 120 link and had to cut out 4 links. Check a regular speed and rpms on your old chain and sprockets to compare to your new set up. I was at 4500rpm at 100km on the old set up and now with the new (50 rear and 18 front) I'm at 4400rpm at 100kms the 100rpm difference I guess could be from the fact that the new set up is lighter and more efficient.
        No signature :(

Comment

Oh I forgot to mention I'm using the 1100E alloy swing arm as well, it is a tad longer then the steel one on the 750. Thanks for the info guys!
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Okay sprockets (18frt-49R) and chain (530-120 inch with 3 masters and spacers) ordered from Z1! cant wait now lol.
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

I had gone with 18/50 and consider it to be just about perfect for the GS1000. I'll be interested in hearing how yours performs.
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Pay close attention to the 18t sprocket. IIRC Z1 was getting the 18t from a different vendor than their other product, and the 18t width was just off enough that the spacer included didnt work as there was the smallest amount of slop left on the spline once the nut was tightened down for the sprocket to walk back and forth on. I foolishly didn't think anything of it and left it, and it ruined the whole set really fast. I was lucky I didn't end up with the spline chewed up.

The next time I ordered both the 18 and the 17 just in case. Once again the 18 had the slop in it. The 17 fit like a glove. I went 17/50 (or maybe 52?) and didn't use the 18.
                I'm not saying this is still the case as I did email Jeff regarding this issue, and they may have either changed the spacer for this use, or switched vendors on the sprocket. Just a heads up though.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  Pay close attention to the 18t sprocket. IIRC Z1 was getting the 18t from a different vendor than their other product, and the 18t width was just off enough that the spacer included didnt work as there was the smallest amount of slop left on the spline once the nut was tightened down for the sprocket to walk back and forth on. I foolishly didn't think anything of it and left it, and it ruined the whole set really fast. I was lucky I didn't end up with the spline chewed up.

The next time I ordered both the 18 and the 17 just in case. Once again the 18 had the slop in it. The 17 fit like a glove. I went 17/50 (or maybe 52?) and didn't use the 18.
                  I'm not saying this is still the case as I did email Jeff regarding this issue, and they may have either changed the spacer for this use, or switched vendors on the sprocket. Just a heads up though.
                  I just did mine last week and the spacer and sprocket(18) from Z1 was perfect. So they must have corrected it.
                  No signature :(

Comment

Yet another thing to pull apart and check. I haven't had to adjust the chain yet since I put it on last year, so maybe I lucked out and ducked the bullet.
                    Last edited by OldVet66; 05-08-2012, 11:28 PM.
                    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I ordered an 18t last month, no problems here.

Comment

Working...
                      X