RealGasket Silicone valve cover gasket info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RealGasket Silicone valve cover gasket info

This is for anyone with a model that has the tach gear that is in the valve cover.
    I just got off the phone with the owner or Real Gaskets. I called to order a valve cover gasket for my 1100e and he apologised and let me know that because of the thickness of the Realgasket, approx.3/16 ths, it causes a problem with the tach gear being too far away from the cam gear that drives it. The improper distance causes the tach gear to be eaten up and fail leaving metal in the engine. He says tests and recent reports from customers has verified this problem.
    So even though many tach in cover model gaskets are listed for sale on his site he would not sell me one. I did not force the issue or argue to get one,but just took his word and headed back to HQ (here) to report.
    He said a new thinner gasket is in the works for these models but its a thing for the future.
    I am sure someone on here has a Realgasket on a bike with the mentioned tach arrangement? any issues?

It's been covered on here before, though a bit of reminder doesn't hurt for those thinking about one. Don't. Your tach drive gears will get chewed up quick.
    The only bikes this wouldn't apply to are those with electronic tach (1100ES, 1150, 700/750 83 up) as they have no tach gear.

Comment

I guess it is a good reminder. It seems like a great product. I really wanted one. He said a denser one with special compounds allowing it to be thinner is in the plans for the rest of us. Good guy over there it seems.

Comment

I am all for the denser one, as well a black one. Orange? EEww
        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
          I am sure someone on here has a Realgasket on a bike with the mentioned tach arrangement? any issues?
          Yes, put one on a friend's bike. The tach didn't work at all, a loud squeal came from the head the instant we started it up, and within maybe ten seconds running the tach drive gear was nearly ruined.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Wow, almost ordered one of those silicone valve cover gaskets, glad I didn't now. I went with the stock factory gasket.

Just to vent a bit, our local bike dealer had a computerize gasket cutter at one time, they could cut just about any kind of gasket (save for a head gasket) for any bike for few years. They had cut a few for me and they were great. They just let the machine go to ruin by not maintaining it. Really sad, it was such a good deal.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
              I am all for the denser one, as well a black one. Orange? EEww
              Oh , I thought they were red? Orange would look good on my orange bike. oh well.

Comment

I have one on my '79 and I like it a lot. The torque needs to be very lite as not to squish the gasket too much and cause failure/leakage.

My tach gear is in the head though.
                1979 GS850G
                2004 SV650N track bike
                2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
                  I have one on my '79 and I like it a lot. The torque needs to be very lite as not to squish the gasket too much and cause failure/leakage.

My tach gear is in the head though.
                  The '77-79 750's are OK too.
                  -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

I've got one of those on my '83 850 . No problems yet that I know of though, after several 1000s of miles.

Comment

allojohn, you're sure about being OK for the 750's you mentioned? Goes against TCK's statement. I was going to purchase one because it's less expensive than my local dealer and it claims to be reusable and made of superior materials. On the other hand the one on the Z1 site is even less. Is the Z1 offering of OEM quality ?
                      Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

Originally posted by Notz View Post
                        allojohn, you're sure about being OK for the 750's you mentioned? Goes against TCK's statement. I was going to purchase one because it's less expensive than my local dealer and it claims to be reusable and made of superior materials. On the other hand the one on the Z1 site is even less. Is the Z1 offering of OEM quality ?
                        http://www.z1enterprises.com/Valve-C...7981-2618.aspx
                        It's fine for the 8v 750s (77-79) as they had the tach gear in the head and not in the cover. 16v 80-82 750 and 80-83 1100E (excepting the ES model only) is a no no.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Yes, put one on a friend's bike. The tach didn't work at all, a loud squeal came from the head the instant we started it up, and within maybe ten seconds running the tach drive gear was nearly ruined.
                          This has also happened to a couple other members here....it's due to the gears sitting atop each other (not meshed) when the valve cover is reinstalled, and the bolts tightened....with the Real Gasket, some care is needed to ensure the gears have meshed, as the increased stack height unfortunately, makes this a possibility.

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                          I guess it is a good reminder. It seems like a great product. I really wanted one. He said a denser one with special compounds allowing it to be thinner is in the plans for the rest of us. Good guy over there it seems.
                          I have one on my bike currently...installed it about 5 years ago (same gasket), and taken it off for valve check/adjustments at least 3 or 4 times....no sign of issues with the gears wearing, or anything untoward, so far. Perhaps the gasket has compressed a little, with years of use, to the point that it's not an issue, but I always take extra care with the installation, to ensure proper engagement, & secondly, that all surfaces are bone dry (some members have reported failures, where the gasket had slipped out of place due to oily surfaces, probably compounded with over tightening).

I was told about a new/improved gasket being in the works too, when I spoke to them about 3 years ago (a really nice lady, with a lovely accent answered the phone), but it seems it has yet to materialize.
                          '82 GS1100E

Comment

Put one on my 850 and had a problem with keeping the cover bolts secure and I couldn't keep it dry, kept springing leaks. Don't like leaks.....

Comment

I too have used the Real Gasket made of siicone. Worked WONDERFUL on my '81 GS1100EX. It had a a drip that would NOT stop. The Real Gasket stopped it Immediately ! But I took if off out of concern for the Tach drive gears. Mine were ok,..But I took great care on installation. I will pick up the new improved one when it becomes available.
                              Terry
                              1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

Working...
                              X