Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 GS550E - 3rd cylinder not firing

Hi all,

I recently got K&N filters, MAC 4-1, and jet kit installed on my 80 GS550E by a shop here in Brooklyn. They did a few rounds of tuning/syncing the carbs and for a few days the bike was running great. Then all of a sudden it was very difficult to get it started and it feels really bogged down in the low-mid range.

I took it back to the shop and they noticed that the 3rd cylinder is not firing (3rd header pipe cold compared to the others). The spark plug still had spark though. I'm taking it back tomorrow or Thursday for them to look into it some more, but was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues.

Any info/advice is much appreciated, thanks!
    Tom

Well it looks like your carb on #3 is not delivering fuel. You had a jet kit installed but were the carbs cleaned prior to? I'd say you have some plugged ports in the carb body or alternatively some gunge has gotten in to your new jets in carb 3. How is the tank? It doesn't take long at all for floaters in the gas to plug something up, its happened to me a few times.

I think you need to have the carbs cleaned and the tank checked for dirt.

Good luck with it.
    Spyug

Comment

Do this work yourself or you will never know what's going on in there.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by caridimondo View Post
        Hi all,

I took it back to the shop and they noticed that the 3rd cylinder is not firing (3rd header pipe cold compared to the others). The spark plug still had spark though.
        Third header from right (as you sit on it) ?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Third header from right (as you sit on it) ?
          Third from the right would be the number 2 cylinder. Or is that not what you are asking him?
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            Third from the right would be the number 2 cylinder. Or is that not what you are asking him?
            Which is the cylinder with all of the vacuum diaphragm issues.

Good question.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
            X