Wispy smoke from under starter cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wispy smoke from under starter cover

I have been noticing some smoke of indiscernible color coming from under the starter cover when the bike is warm and at idle. It's not a lot, but I don't think its a GOOD THING. I know it ain't water or gas so it must be oil. Can't really see much with the starter cover removed. Do breather tubes vent to the crankcase that could cause this? Does anyone think it's a major problem? The bike starts, idles, and shifts well. Just looking for opinions and peace of mind.

Thanks

Thats the same smoke that comes from under my right knee cap when I kick start mine

Comment

Your drain might be plugged up, and that's just steam from your starter while it's taking a bath. All kidding aside, those drains do get clogged up sometimes and will trash the starter if it sits in the resulting water too long. There is nothing that vents into it. I guess if it's not clogged up that some sort of vapor or exhaust could travel from under the bike up through the vent hole that is underneath the starter..
      Last edited by OldVet66; 05-09-2012, 07:19 PM.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

You are about to discover the Mystery Hole. It's called that because it's a mystery to most people why it's there.

Well, it's the drain hole for the top of the crankcase. Any water, oil, dead bugs or squashed bunnies end up there.

If you look at the starter cover from the right side of the bike, notice the canyon just before the starter cavity. Get an inspection mirror and look down there, I'll bet there's a build up of gunk there that's blocking the hole.

You can check on the bottom of the motor and shove a wire up thru it to help unclog it

If it clogs up, water (and whatever else) backs up into the starter cavity, so you should consider pulling the starter and cleaning the whole mess out before you find it has become part of your weekly maintenance. This may/may not entail removing the carbs for access to the starter.

You might find that either your cam chain tensioner or the valve cover gasket is leaking oil back there, so be prepared for the potential of more things to fix
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Wispy smoke from starter cover

Thanks so much. That makes sense and who knows what's down in that hole after so many years. I will check it out and report back.

Comment

Working...
          X