excessive engine oil consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

excessive engine oil consumption

I'm about to buy GS550 1979 from this seller. He told me that the bike consume quite a lot of engine oil due to some problem. What is the major problem and what parts need to be done in order to fix this? I'm not sure if i should still buy this bike off him. Please advice...

Originally posted by dominicpcl View Post
    I'm about to buy GS550 1979 from this seller. He told me that the bike consume quite a lot of engine oil due to some problem. What is the major problem and what parts need to be done in order to fix this? I'm not sure if i should still buy this bike off him. Please advice...
    Don't buy it, there's lots of other bikes. Thank the seller for his honesty.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Burning it or leaking it?
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

should be burning it as there's no obvious oil leak from the engine..

Comment

Rings and valve guide seals are the two most likely causes. If you can do a compression check you can see if it's rings. It's probably both though. You'd be better off spending a few hundred more on a known good runner.

Comment

Some people's idea of too much oil may not be much at all. For instance, BMW's standard for new bikes is a liter in 1,000 miles. Some folks would say that's too much, depends on your purpose for the bike. How much does it burn? Is it smoking? Does it run well otherwise? Is it a very nice bike other than that or a piece of crap? Are you easily able to do a top end rebuild or not? (it's pretty simple)

It could also be that he doesn't know how to check the oil and keeps it too full, or that there is a minor problem putting fuel in the oil, both of which will lead to high oil consumption.

One more thing, high oil consumption gives you a great excuse to put on the 650 top end.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I would not shy away from it simply because of the oil issue. As tkent stated, a top end refresh is not very difficult and can be done with the engine still in the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                I would not shy away from it simply because of the oil issue. As tkent stated, a top end refresh is not very difficult and can be done with the engine still in the frame.
                The top end is doable, but you should factor the potential costs of new gaskets, pistons, and rings for the top end into the purchase price. Those parts will cost a couple hundred bucks. Even if the pistons and rings are good, you'll have to replace the head gasket when you put it back together. An OEM head gasket for your bike is $100 at Part Shark.

Comment

Originally posted by dominicpcl View Post
                  should be burning it as there's no obvious oil leak from the engine..
                  Wherever the oil's going is trouble- I'll say you can find a better candidate, as lots of these critters get sidelined for carb and electrical problem, easy cheap fix with a little time and effort.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                  X