Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baffled by oil coming out of weep hole..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baffled by oil coming out of weep hole..

1979 gs850gn

Ok I enclosed a pic of the starter cavity with starter removed.

My problem is im constantly getting oil draining from the weep hole.My oil level is always just a hair below full . Ive convinced myself that the starter o-ring was bad and at higher rpm's oil was blowing past the o-ring into the starter cavity and out the weep hole. Today I yanked out the starter , and ,
    to my astonishment , the cavity is clean with no oil , or signs of oil ever pooling up in there.
    Now notice my pic , the very skinny black tube that runs from a "nipple" , just outside the cavity, to the weep hole inside the starter cavity.
    This has to be where the oil is coming from ? but from the placement of the nipple , is it transmission oil ?
    What is the Nipple and skinny black tube's function ? Has anyone experienced this problem before ? Can I plug the end of the skinny tube to stop oil flowing into my weeep hole ?
    Maybe Im missing something very obvious ?

Graf

The area under that nipple is your secondary drive. Put the bike on the centerstand, open the fill hole for the secondary drive (it's behind the shifter cover), check to see if it's too full. Proper level is to the bottom of the hole.

Probably best to just drain the secondary drive and re-fill it with the proper amount of oil, if you can't remember when it was done last.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

rE

WELL AFTER MAKING MY POST EARLIER , I DECIDED TO CHECK THE SECONDARY DRIVE OIL LEVEL BY UNDOING THE 10MM BOLT JUST BEHIND THE SHIFTER. SURE ENOUGH ALOT OF GEAR OILCAME OUT AND I LET IT RUN OUT TILL IT STOPPED . WHEN I CHANGED THE GEAR OIL BOUT THREE MONTHS AGO I REMEMBERED THE SERVICE MANUAL SAYING ITS FULL JUST ASS IT STARTS TO RUN OUT..
      FUNNY THING IS I 98 % SURE I DIDNT OVERFILL IT . tHOUGH ITS POSSIBLE I SUPPOSE.TOMORROW GONNA RIDE FOR A BIT AND SEE IF THE OIL LEAK IS STOPPED. GRAF

Comment

Working...
      X