surging at hiway speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

surging at hiway speeds

one of my projects is almost done i got it running today so i took it out for a small ride. it ran really strong so i took it out on the freeway it pulled strong got it up to speed [70mph] and held it there and it felt like it was surging. droped down to [60mph] still felt it surging droped down to [50mph] seamed to run ok . ran it home changed the plugs checked the chain even checked the tires, ran it out on the freeway still acted the same. it feels like its starven for fuel it has no tach so i cant tell if the rpms are jumping up and down any ideas guys

Could you give us less information on which to base an opinion and advise?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yea things like bike type, maintenance, pods or stock air filter, etc are kinda necessary to know what's going on.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Bad petcock is my guess.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

its a stock bike with stock everything no modes and everything is hooked up its a 83 GS750E i sprayed carb cleaner all over boots and manifolds and no change in rpms at idle

Comment

Sometimes it is hard to find air leaks in the intake by spraying stuff around the outside. Are the carb boots in good shape and have new o rings? Carbs been disassembled and cleaned with new o rings? What did the old plugs look like?

Comment

Usually when this comes up it's the carb vent lines not properly routed. I don't know where they're supposed to go on that bike, but it'll somewhere behind the airbox, or under the seat, or some other place out of the wind.
              Last edited by Dogma; 05-12-2012, 09:45 PM.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Fuel tank not venting. Starving it for fuel when you pulling a lot of it thru system at 70. Check your gas cap or try a freeway run with the cap loose.

Comment

you said it was doin it at 60-70 try cruiseing at a lower speed with a high rpm does it still do it or only in 5th gear? (wondering if its a high rpm clutch slip) my bike did this only in 4th and 5th gear i adjusted the clutch at the push rod and it took car of the problem just a thought

Comment

stupid question here where are the vents located ? and it seems to be a certan rpm range

Comment

from most to least

A link to your manual on BikeCliff's site Your service manual

also in the carb rebuild tutorial on the site CV carb rebuild tutorial

or the specific answer to your question on the site Where do these hoses go?

Comment

The vent tubes are behind the airbox and in frnt of the battery,I took it out this morning and its not as bad in 4th as it is in 5th but its in a different rpm range for doing 60mph .I did let a freind ride it he thinks its the chain and or sprockets

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                          Fuel tank not venting. Starving it for fuel when you pulling a lot of it thru system at 70. Check your gas cap or try a freeway run with the cap loose.
                          pulled the cap off and it works great no surging from the eng, i do feel a little something not right so i put it on the center stand and slowly rotated the rear wheel and i have a link that binds so i need a new chain and sprockets thanx for all the advice

Comment

Working...
                          X