• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX750 clutch issues

1983 GSX750 has some clutch issues,

• Removed clutch assembly and the clutch plates are well within spec
    • Clutch springs are within spec
    • Can adjust the cable at the bars but its almost wound right out of both the lever and the side case.
    • With correct freeplay the clutch drags and the bike wants to pull forward all the time.
    • It has the correct engine oil in it
    • The worm drive is greased and set at the correct angle, if i set the arm any lower the spring would curl.

I do not know if it has the correct clutch cable in it, or the correct length cable and cant find any specs on that.

Any ideas?...

Anyone?...

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsy View Post
      Anyone?...
      Lots of views but no takers! How about if you have no free play at handle bar? Cable stretching can be deceiving-does it look old?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sorry dude, i wish i could help. For me i can only work out clutches by playing with them.
        Other people can just walk up and do it, not me.

Comment

How much play on the handle bar lever? Too much play can cause this.
          Notched up clutch baskets can cause such problems
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            How much play on the handle bar lever? Too much play can cause this.
            Notched up clutch baskets can cause such problems
            What is a notched up clutch basket?
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

When the clutch plates and fibers put notches in the clutch basket. This keeps the clutch pack to not release and engage without slippage. It also creates a hard to find neutral.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Reviving this thread because i need to get this bike on the road.

The worm gear had play in it, so i welded it up solid as it should be.

Clutch springs wore grooves into the housing so i used my dremel and sanded them smooth.

The clutch adjuster down on the engine is wound almost all the way out, correct gap up on the bars.

Start the bike up and put it into gear with the clutch in, front brake on and it stalls.

One thing i have noticed is that when i adjust the amount of play the clutch push rod has the screw is almost all the way in and the nut only just fits onto it to tighten it up.

I'm abit lost now as everything is within spec, any ideas?

Comment

dont worry fixed it myself.

Comment

What did you do to fix it?

Comment

Working...
                    X