Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a project. What are the symptoms of tired clutch springs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a project. What are the symptoms of tired clutch springs.

Just wondering what the symptoms of tiring clutch springs are.

The clutch slips at high power or after a hard shift in the upper gears.

The original springs are shot for sure by now after sitting compressed for thirty years.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yep... they're cheap to replace... and stupid easy. Just do it at your next oil change... Might want to just spring for new clutch plates as well... Everything should be had for less than 120 bucks.

Comment

I have good EBC springs I will trade you for your shot stock springs. Ray

Comment

Tired clutch springs, I would think would have less travel on the lever where it actually egages and disenges the clutch, regardless of whether it's slipping or not.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
            Tired clutch springs, I would think would have less travel on the lever where it actually egages and disenges the clutch, regardless of whether it's slipping or not.
            It doesn't work that way. Everything feels normal, it just slips.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              It doesn't work that way. Everything feels normal, it just slips.
              Could be, I know on my GS1000 there is a very limited travel between fully engaged and disengaged, I tried adjusting it out as to still have some pull to it and engage where I want it to, but haven't been successful, so I attributed it to worn out clutch springs. I did replace the straight stock levers with recessed ones, and maybe that has something to do with it. The clutch does not slip. I would prefer to believe you're right as I don't want to go into the clutch unless I have to.
              sigpic
              Steve

Comment

Clutches are easy.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Clutches are easy.
                  I'm lazy .
                  sigpic
                  Steve

Comment

Ok .

Comment

Last week I replaced my "tired" clutch springs with new OEM springs. They didn't make much difference at all. OTOH, if you get the EBC heavy-duty springs, they make a huge improvement, with a bigger friction zone and noticeably better feel under power. The only downside is that if a girl rides it she might not be able to squeeze the lever. We know this from firsthand experience.

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanBob View Post
                        Last week I replaced my "tired" clutch springs with new OEM springs. They didn't make much difference at all. OTOH, if you get the EBC heavy-duty springs, they make a huge improvement, with a bigger friction zone and noticeably better feel under power. The only downside is that if a girl rides it she might not be able to squeeze the lever. We know this from firsthand experience.
                        This is something I have noticed on the GS forum. Those who have gone aftermarket recommend only one-half of the springs be aftermarket, the other half OEM. On my GPz I replaced all with aftermarket and the pull is fine. But YMMV.

Comment

Working...
                        X