Clutch doesn't work after replacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch doesn't work after replacing

I installed a new clutch plates (drive and driven) and springs on my 77 GS750B. The lever is limp even with the new springs.

During installation one thing troubled me. I'm going to open it back up this afternoon and see what I can see, but thought I'd put it out there and see if can get any advice.

When I put it back together, the part that pushes on the top of the clutch basket (#15 in the diagram below) has a collar that did not seat flush with the bottom of the basket. It goes in the hole but bottoms out about a half inch short of the bottom of the basket.

Should this rod's collar bottom out on the bottom of the clutch basket? If so, I wonder what is keeping it from bottoming out.

Thanks for any advice.
    Greg

Greg..I will PM you my number..easier that way than all the typing..call me before 10 cuz i gotta go to work
    Last edited by chuck hahn; 05-14-2012, 10:25 AM.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Greg..just a side note to our phone chat..on the adjustment screw on the cable...turn that down into the sprocket cover at least 2/3 to 3/4 of the way before you adjust the rod at the clutch actuator like i explained. That way youll be sure to have a lot of adjustment there when youe setting up the lever pressure. follow me???
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
        When I put it back together, the part that pushes on the top of the clutch basket (#15 in the diagram below) has a collar that did not seat flush with the bottom of the basket. It goes in the hole but bottoms out about a half inch short of the bottom of the basket.

Should this rod's collar bottom out on the bottom of the clutch basket? If so, I wonder what is keeping it from bottoming out.

Thanks for any advice.
        Greg
        What diagram?
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

worm gear adjustment needed.
          the rest will then follow.

Comment

Clutch works now! I removed the adjuster completely on the left side, took the top off the clutch basket and reseated the collared rod and it seated fully. Put everything back together and now I have a solid feeling pull on the clutch lever. It seems to work well. Can't wait to take it for a spin!

Thanks Chuck for the time on the phone this morning.

And Joe...not sure why the diagram didn't show up. It was there when I posted but seems to have disappeared.

Comment

Took the bike for a short ride and the clutch works great! Thanks for all the help. Looking forward to giving it a workout this weekend in Wisconsin

Comment

Working...
              X