2nd drive losing oil, no drips, no puddles, no clue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd drive losing oil, no drips, no puddles, no clue

need a little help. I noticed chatter in the trans case. When I checked for oil it was only abut 1/2 full. I added 90wt oil up to the little edge and went for a 150 mile ride. I looks now like I have lost about an ounce or so but not severe. There has never been a drip or puddle under the bike. I am going to take it to the car wash and blast out the underside. Where might I start looking for a small pain in the @$$ leak?

Hi,

Take care not to overfill the bezel gear case. (Thanks to Mr. bwringer for the picture.)

When filling the bezel gear case, take out the level plug and pour in the 90wt oil until it starts to dribble out of the level hole. Replace the level plug and the fill plug, then ride.

Filling the bezel gears until the level touches the internal fill spout actually over-fills the case a little. It won't really hurt anything but you might lose some oil through the bezel case breather system.

Other noises in that area can be caused by the clutch, starter clutch, and the u-joint. (I hope a screw from the stator hasn't come loose.) The transmission gears are lubricated by the crankcase oil. Only the bezel gears are in the bezel gear case and are lubricated by the 90wt oil.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2012, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks. At least I'm learning the proper names for everything. I'll take a look and make sure everything is tight and clean everything up. Next thing is valve adjustment and addressing gear crash from when moving from 1st past nuetral into 2nd or back. I'll do a search here first before asking questions.

Comment

Maybe the gear oil is migrating to transmission .
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Don't think so, didn't even think it was possible. Pulled the side cover and found oil all over including especially around the drain and level check plugs, both were loose. Thightened these and went for a long ride. Not a drop of leakage anywhere. On the good side I found a great cleaner. Didn't have any Simple Green around but did have Resolve Carpet cleaner. Was trying to clean the cover and used engine cleaner with very poor results. Used Resolve and all the oil just disolved. Used it everywhere the dirt and oil accumulated, spray, wait and rinse with water. Worked better than the car wash. Who knew?
          The valves are next. I need to visit everything the PO adjusted. New thread.

Comment

Working...
          X