Well that didn't work part 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that didn't work part 3.

Well today my new buddy Mr. Gatekeeper, feeling sorry for me, dropped over to put an eyeball on the problem. After recapping everything I'd posted about on here, he had a look at the schematics from the manual and promptly suggested I disconnect the oil cooler to take it out of the equation as it were. So I disconnected the right side line ( which feeds the cooler) just under the cooler and plugged it.

Damn, we thought we had something since when it fired up, oil blew the plug out of the line and squirted out from the line and out of the cooler with a fair bit of pressure. That looked promising but thats about all we got to happen. Looking at the sender hole it still dribbles out. Cobbling together my jury rigged pressure gauge and some rubber tubing and shoving it in the port just under the pickup coils where you are supposed to test pressure we got nothing on the gauge and oil just trickled when the contraption was removed. At that point, in true GSR fashion, we decided we had hit a brick wall and it was time to drink.

Mr. GK provided a couple of delicious high quality Cuban stoggies to go with the Glenmorangie and beer chasers. We were enjoying things so much and shooting the Schit we missed lunch ( Apologies my friend for not offering chow, the wife took pains to tell me what a rotten host I am, "but honey I gave hime my best Scotch" didn't cut any ice with her).

Well we might not have solved the problem but we kinda think it may have something to do with the pressure regulator which is the one part I didn't change from the parts bike. I guess that's my next little project and test.

The Ontario chapter of the 750 club had a nice meeting to end the May 24 weekend and it was nice to find out the GK is another damned fine human being, just as he appears on here. I can't wait to see his project in the flesh when I get down to help synch his carbs in the next week or so. Maybe I can borrow that fancy seat and break it in for him

Thanks for making the trip my friend, I hope you didn't get beat up too bad when you got home. See you when the carbs are ready to be tweaked.

Cheers,
    Spyug
    Last edited by Guest; 05-21-2012, 05:02 PM.

Still alive and kicking, did some work around the house, did some burgers on the BBQ for me and the wife, and all is well at the homestead.

It was great to meet you as well, the afternoon was a blast, unfortunately the only thing that we got accomplished was the scotch, the beer and the cigars....actually not a bad afternoon...

OK we also as you said we determined the regulator needs to be swapped out, better than an engine swap.......

Ohhh ya, who needs food when you have scotch, beer and cigars, tell your significant other,,,,it's a man thing.....

next meeting is at my place....that is if my end of things is done.....

See you soon.....

Cheers

Comment

Just an addendum to this fiasco in case anyone is searching due to similar symptoms.

It turns out that my low pressure at the sender was caused by the oil filter being installed the wrong way. Instead of the hole in the filter mating to the port in the crankcase, the blanked off end was jammed up against it.

The result is, of course, minimal oil flowing into the filter area will resirculate into the sump, causing low oil volume in the sump. Low oil volume would create very low pressure from the pump to the gallery supplying the sender unit. Thus the trigger pressure for the sender unit (under 5 psi)is not met, the sender doesn't trigger to ground and the OP light does not go out.

Be careful installing the filters folks.

Cheers,
      Spyug
      Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2012, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
        It turns out that my low pressure at the sender was caused by the oil filter being installed the wrong way.
        You've got to be kidding me! How did you manage to do that?
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
          You've got to be kidding me! How did you manage to do that?
          Blindfolded and drunk?

Eric

Comment

Blindfolded and drunk?
            No, actually distracted ( by angry wife) and in a hurry (late for a social event). Drunk was later .

Cheers,
            Spyug

Comment

wow... its always the simplest things that it comes down to.

That's strike 2 isn't it :P
              Last edited by Mekanix; 05-29-2012, 04:48 PM.
              Stephen.
              1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
              1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
              Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
              GS twin wiki

Comment

Man, you sure did alot of work on that bike for that oil filter. I have learned that when I do critical stuff, I want to be alert and fresh, otherwise I risk the chance of something like this happening. If I do a procedure and the bike runs funny afterward I try to think of what I just did that made a difference.
                Seems the older I get the more I keep misplacing my tools, short term memory going I guess.
                They say as you get older the first thing that goes is your memory, I forgot what the second thing was.
                sigpic
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                  They say as you get older the first thing that goes is your memory, I forgot what the second thing was.
                  Too funny !...but very true

Comment

Steve, you are so right. The worst part is that I was certain I had it in right. When Gatekeeper came down to help he suggested checking the filter but I pooh pooed it as I know it only goes in one way and I "knew" I had put it in right. What a joke.

It is so easy to make simple mistakes I find, especially as we get on in age. I was thinking about it the other day, again, and I also think we develope an attitude ( with all our years of experience) that we can't screw up something as simple as a filter change. Wrong again.

Well for me its a lesson learned and now I'm going to check everything more closely. Or at least I'll try and remember to check everything more closely

As my old grannie used to say, "Old age isn't all its cracked up to be".

cheers,
                    spyug

Comment

I did not know you could install those backwards, luckily it wasn't a piston. I'm always second guessing what I did, if I can't remember doing something, I'm usually back into it again, especially on something critical. I have a tendancy to be on auto pilot, day dreaming or thinking about something else when I perform maintenance.
                      Now, where did I put my key? I just had it, got to be around here somewhere. Damn!
                      sigpic
                      Steve

Comment

We need more info here.....Glenmorangie Standard? 12? 18? 1972 Single Barrel?
                        There's probably more variations of that Scotch than any other. Nevertheless a fine elixir in any finish, not the likely culprit in installing an oil filter backwards. (sorry, gotta LOL here) must be the beer, lemme guess...a hot day, a cooler full of Labatts Blue?
                        OK, now I am starting to envision a routine maintenance procedure going FUBAR, (dremel with a nut driver trying to set a sub 15 second filter change from box to bike right?)
                        Good story.
                        Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                        X