Timing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing question

I have an 82 gs850L. I've ordered 2 valve gaskets to start on mapping and adjusting them. At the same time I was going to check the timing. This should be electronic. I don't see anything regarding doing this except when installing Dyna ingition. Is the procedure the same for setting the timing is using the stock ignition? Swapping out will have to wait for $$$.
    I've read and printed the instruction for valve adjustments... any other tips? Is it necessary to do any cam chain adjustment? Little afraid of that one.

Originally posted by tpetersen View Post
    Is it necessary to do any cam chain adjustment? Little afraid of that one.
    It's not necessary unless someone dicked with it.

It is very easy to check, and fairly easy to fix if it is found to be wrong.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Based on some of the things I'v run across who knows what I will find. I am only worried because I was told by the PO that a mechanic did the last valve adjustment and gasket but it leaks all the way around not bad but enough to be anoying.

Comment

Originally posted by tpetersen View Post
        I've read and printed the instruction for valve adjustments... any other tips?
        Read my sig.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X