X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil blowing out airbox; 79 GS1000L

OK here's the story
    (It's always a story with me)
    Just rebuilt the carbs. THANKS to all the info on the site here, I think I was able to do that fairly well.
    A couple weeks before I started on the carbs, I was looking at how to pull the air box, evaluating the job, where the cables lie, etc. In that, I pulled what I would call the crankcase breather hose and of course, re-installed it.
    Since then, I have begun to lose oil out what I traced back to being the air box! So in the dismantling to rebuild the carbs, I discovered a leak at the point the breather hose enters the air box, so oil has been running lightly down the outer front of the box, as well as from the drain. At some point I lost the drain hose, and honestly don't recall ever seeing one there, but it's been dripping all over as it drains from there, center stand, swing arm, and back tire, which made for some scary riding.
    As part of reassembly, I installed a drain hose to the bottom of the air box, and put a hose clamp on the breather hose entering the box so it can be tightened to prevent leaking.
    This morning I was able to sync the carbs and I "think" I am ready to ride, except, here's about a pint of oil that drained out of the air box (see photo); so much oil came through it's actually half soaked the air filter in the breather box.
    So... Could I have created a siphon and am just pulling oil from the crankcase? Is there some kind of what I'd call a PCV thing above the valve cover that prevents this kind of oil from flowing?
    I did check the petcock, because I've cruised enough of these posts to have read that gas ends up in the oil due to faulty petcock. Gas only flows when I suck gently on the vacuum side of the petcock.
    Suggestions?
    Thanks
    Rick

Not unusual but, that amount seems to be excessive. Make sure you haven't over filled crank case with oil. You might have to take breather off and give it a good cleaning. Make sure when you fill crank bike is on center stand.

Comment

Are you sure that's its only coming from airbox? That seems to be a lot for just sitting overnight.

Comment

That came in about 3 minutes of running at approx 2500 RPM to sync the carbs. Bike was either on center stand (that's all i have) or it may have been on the lift when I put oil in. Definitely not overfilled.
        I have been losing about a quart a week it seems, until this BP-esque disaster this morning.
        It is only coming from the airbox
        Thanks
        Rick

Comment

The only way oil can get into the airbox is if the engine has too much oil in it and is blowing it out the breather hose into the airbox. Whether this is 100% oil or a mixture of oil and petcock leaked gas, I don't know, but the oil level has to be too high for the problem to occur. Many times, when a petcock develops a leak, it will not be through the fuel tube, it can be directly through the vacuum line.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Well folks
            my humility and integrity tells me I must tell on myself. The oil drain pan is a 7 quart pan and it over flowed on the driveway (for my second environmental disaster in less than 24 hours!) and partially filled a hastily added replacement oil pan so.... 9 qts? I must have a sight glass malfunction.
            I don't have gas coming from the petcock; the tank is sitting in a pan and there is no gas from either fuel feed or vacuum however... I think I'll replace the petcock any how.
            I also used a pick to pull the threads from the oil pan drain hole from the threads of the oil drain plug. Right now that is reinstalled with some RTV. I know to not trust; does anyone have experience with a helicoil in that spot? Not sure about trusting that either but thinking temporariliy until next pay when I can order both a new oil pan and a petcock. And fork seals
            I'm a counselor. Not a mechanic. But... YOU guys have provided an amazing amount of information. I'm blessed and pray you are also
            Thanks
            Rick

Comment

You MUST MUST MUST check the oil with the bike on a level surface AND AND on the center stand or have someone hold it upright as perfectly stable as possible. Thats the only way to get the true reading.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

see if this link works...use the drain plug to install the insert rather than the tool.That way youll be sure its screwed in far enough for the plug to seal. Use the thinnest insert with a dab of red loctite and your done. OH, and install without the washer on the plug..flush it to the pan and the seal will then fit nice ans snug. Follow me??

1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yeah I do follow that.
                  oft-times my reply to such a "follow me" question is: "Well, I hear the words coming out of your mouth..." !!
                  OK so rather than the tool use the plug itself to insert it. Red locktite is laying about... And no washer on the plug, so that the seal fits nice and snug... I may not get the last part, but the instructions are simple enough.
                  Thanks!

Comment

Yes...remove the pan so the tap supplied doesnt hit the oil pick up screen. Tap it as straight as you can and add the insert with the drain plug. The way the instructions say is to use the tool they provide, but in doing a spark plug hole with the kit, i discovered the spark plug was way more easy and effective to use as the tool to insert the helicoil with. and if the insert sticks into the inside of the pan a little you can just take a dremel and flush it off to the inside as well. Screw the helicoil on the drain plug and thread it on in.

Comment

Hmm, sounds cool
                      to note: i only have centerstand... so when I check oil it's on center... no other way. Either on the street, the parking lot at work, or in my garage (not my drive, which is quite a slant); none of these locations is entirely on bubble, i'd guess, but close enough. I guess i must have overfilled it, then seen "no" level in the sight glass and assumed it needed more.
                      I'll need to be more diligent about it in the future.

Comment

My bike takes well over 4 hours for oil to fall back into sump. I just check it after it sits overnight- it' very obvious then.
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

^^ Check when it's cold and been sitting overnight. If you check it after start up it will show very low, and if it's hot and been running the oil will have expanded and will show high.

Comment

Working...
                          X