Thrust bearings....need a quick hand here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thrust bearings....need a quick hand here

Ok..so I bought a new timing chain, rockers, and guides. Everything is with the lower end is surgically clean and new inside, and I want to put my thrust bearings back in but am a bit confused as to placement. I seem to see two recesses on either side of what what I will call the second journal, and they are identical in thickness and part number. Any help at this point will be greatly appreciated.

If you want help you need to tell us what bike you are working on.
    I think you might be talking about crank thrust bearings from a plain bearing crank. Have you downloaded a service manual?

Comment

Apologies...its a an 85 gs700e engine in a GS500 frame...and yes, its a plain bearing crankshaft. Dangit..so addled I forgot to put the bike in.

Comment

Originally posted by Yewtree View Post
        Apologies...its a an 85 gs700e engine in a GS500 frame...and yes, its a plain bearing crankshaft. Dangit..so addled I forgot to put the bike in.
        And the service manual?
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The service manual i looked at wasn't much help.....for whatever reason the engine breakdown seemed vague...But it could also be me. I've been a bit concerned about making sure I've asked lots of questions before I jump.

Comment

Addendum.....am still looking for an answer about those bearings...if anyone has a bit to add I'd be grateful...

"I never eat processed foods...I always end up picturing the people that might be processing them..." George Carlin

Comment

The thrust bearings should go on either side of the main bearing in the case. You should be able to see machined areas on the cases and on the crank for them to ride on. Keeping them in place while you put the crank in can be tricky, maybe a bit of thick grease to hold them in place. When you have the crank in with them, using a dial indicator or feeler gauges will let you measure the crank movement back and forth.
              You aren't very clear in your first post as to what you are not sure about, makes it difficult to answer.

Comment

Location was the curiosity...it seems to me they are located on the upside of the case, either side of the upper main journal..thanks for your indulgence...

"Nobody can ever know for sure what a deserted area looks like." George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                X