"Clattering" noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Clattering" noise

No better way to describe it. The Flame! has, of late, made a clattering noise when first started. This has happened on 2-3 occasions (out of many tens of starts so far this season). Best way to describe it is that the normal sewing-machine engine sound is replaced with an old-fashioned manual typewriter sound. After 2-3 minutes of operation, the sound abruptly stops (i.e., doesn't fade out).

It only happens on start-up, never happens after the engine is running normally.

Any thoughts/suggestions welcome!

Timing chain tensioner.
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Comment

Can you isolate noise? from valve area or maybe camchain tensioner ? Is this always from cold start?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Location is key here. I had a little clatter from the front that made me fear the valves were in trouble. Turned out that one of my exhaust bolts was a bit loose and allowed the header flange to rattle from time to time.

Comment

take off your oil cap while the motor is running, can you hear it from in there? Could be the clutch sleeve hub nut.
          Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2012, 06:36 PM.

Comment

If you start it while it is on the side stand, could be the clutch springs rattling as the oil is tipped away from them. It will stop when the bike is level.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking cam chain tensioner as well, but the short-lived and very intermittent nature of the noise had me wondering.

@tom203: has happened on both hot and cold starts, but only on start-up.

@MAC10: has happened on both sidestand and level starts.

@yoshisakan: will check next time it happens.

Comment

At next start up, put your hand on tensioner knob as you start it up.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Return spring is probably weak.

While your there, if its not the spring that's weak, Try loosening the locknut on the other side and see how many turns it takes to bottom out. It should be half a turn but if its worn or that set screw is in slightly too far it could wear into the pushrod and catch it.

that stops the plunger from extending all the way and only the vibrations from the engine free it up.
                  Last edited by Mekanix; 06-01-2012, 07:22 PM.
                  Stephen.
                  1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                  1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                  Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                  GS twin wiki

Comment

I had an alarming rattle recently. It turned out to be a loose license plate screw.

Sounds to me like a cam chain. But I'm no expert. It can't hurt to go around the bike checking how tight all the bolts are. As a Harley rider this is normal practise for me.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
                      I had an alarming rattle recently. It turned out to be a loose license plate screw.

Sounds to me like a cam chain. But I'm no expert. It can't hurt to go around the bike checking how tight all the bolts are. As a Harley rider this is normal practise for me.
                      Agreed. I recently had an irritating rattle coming from the front end. Turned out it was the front brake handle since once I replaced the MC with one from a Kawasaki, the rattling stopped.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I vote for the cam chain tensioner, it could be dry on start up until the oil gets pumping, but a couple of minutes is rather long. I would think you'd be able to feel the roughness if you held on to it during start up.
                        sigpic
                        Steve
                        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
                        X