Gs1100 starter clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So repair completed.

Just for grins, I actually started the bike without any exhaust pipes on and darned if she didn't idle. Most motors won't run at all without some pipes. Amazing.

OldSkool, I would've used my puller too if it didn't pop free with a whack of the deadblow hammer.

Comment

I dressed my crank and rotor taper with coarse lapping compound. Took about an hour but it cleaned up good with no slop between the surfaces. Once I cleaned all the lapping compound I went with a suggestion from RapidRay to use green loctite on the crank and red on the nut. Seems to be working fine.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
        I dressed my crank and rotor taper with coarse lapping compound. Took about an hour but it cleaned up good with no slop between the surfaces. Once I cleaned all the lapping compound I went with a suggestion from RapidRay to use green loctite on the crank and red on the nut. Seems to be working fine.
        I have always used red loctite on the taper with no issues slipping or removal.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
          I used red LocTite on both the taper and the crank. The stuff noted in the Miata link is for cranks that have been beat to h@ll.

Glad you got yours back together, BDave. I really appreciate your timely post. So now we have TWO 1982 1100e's back on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
            The rotor is not loose and spinning, as the bike is still charging just fine. It's the little starter clutch (a freewheel clutch, or properly a "sprag clutch") that is not locking when the starter motor is running.
            I tried to tell ya!
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              I tried to tell ya!
              Indeed you did, brother, indeed you did!

Comment

I just had this same thing happen and shat my pants,after all this work OMG i thought,thank god for search function!!!!

Comment

i have air tools tho so i didnt have to figure how to hold the crank

Comment

Working...
                  X