Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doesn't roll, in nuetral, with motor off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't roll, in nuetral, with motor off?

I'm stumped guys!

About a week ago I returned from a ride, park the bike on my inclined driveway (motor off), trans in nuetral, come back few minutes later to push it into the garage and it doesn't want to move. Pull in clutch, rolls in nicely.

Next ride: have to pull in clutch to get it out of garage. On start, it jumps forward, in nuetral (well indicator says nuetral)! BTW, Clutch lever/starter interlock switch was removed a while ago. Get her started using the clutch, and going and, everything works great, shifts good, no problem with nuetral at lights, nothing. Doesn't give me any grief leaving my destination later either. Come home, same process to put bike away, and it doesn't wanna roll again!

Now, it has started to have a little noise from the lower left side, I think. Sounds like a gear rolling or somthing, barely noticable though. Rebuilt the motor about 5,000 miles ago and its been sweet since. Wondering if I didn't get something quite right on reassembley? How does that nuetral stopper thing that faces up from inside the oil sump work? I'm suspicious about that sucker.
    I just dont know...

Ideas greatly appreciated

I'd wonder about the drive shaft
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Both of my GS 1100G's are incredibly hard to roll forward or reverse.
      I have been told by other 1100G owners that they just are.
      My GS 1000G's don't have that problem.
      Nor does either of the GSX 1100G's.

Eric

Comment

Mine is a GS1100G. No problems at all in neutral, and my bike is not exactly pristine! It rolls forward and back in neutral just fine. Sorry, I have no clue.

Comment

Clutch? Yeah...wellllll

You aren't the only one. It seems to me that I heard once that sometimes(not always) that you can have a wet clutch do that due to what engineers call "stiction"...its when a fluid forms a vacuum around two pieces when they are set together wet. Sometimes they won't fully disengage. My GS700E does that once in awhile. I got used to it....but it is annoying to be sure.

Comment

Hmm, I haven't had this problem with my gs1100. I just replaced clutch springs so I know the pressure is there.

What kind of oil are you using? Maybe try some of the rotella diesel oil that everyone is raving about. I'm using it and no complaints so far.

Comment

My G rolls around just fine with no resistance.

If my G just all the sudden wouldn't roll easily, first thing I would check are the brakes.
              Jes saying..
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
              .................________-|___\____
              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys.

I use Rotella. Just changed it yesterday, just in case that had something to do with it. What came out looked fine.

Not Brakes. I can force it forward, but its rolling the motor. Clutch works great. Have freeplay in lever.

I had some issues with the shaft gears and bearings before. Set the gear mesh depth too tight when I put it back together. But I fixed that at least 6 months and quite a few miles ago and haven't had any troubles there since.

Gear shift cam?

Please keep em coming....

Comment

Rode last night. same drag upon return. Forced it into the garage. When I did I'm quite certain I could hear the starter whining. Forced it back and forth and it went free for a moment then locked again. I also have noise coming from the stator cover when its running and have for quite a while but its worse now. Thought it was valve noise like cyl 1 valves but now Im thinking its.. well whatever is causing this.

Starter clutch right?

Comment

That's the only mechanical thing under the stator cover -time to pull it off, sounds like it's jammed
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I've seen a bunch of posts where the starter clutch fails and wont spin the motor. Does it also fail locked closed?

Comment

Originally posted by matt1100 View Post
                        I've seen a bunch of posts where the starter clutch fails and wont spin the motor. Does it also fail locked closed?
                        I'd doubt it- it would probably destroy itself asap. Maybe one of the rollers has lost its spring and became disoriented-dragging on crank somehow.
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                        X