Clutch Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Confusion

Hello every 1, I bought some oem clutch fibers from Star Racing 4 my 83 gs1100e, it came in a pak of 9 part# 21441-31D00. They look just like the originals but come to find out they r 4 a dr650. Just found out gs1100 part# is 21441-49210 and call 4 10 them. Called Star but everybody gone. R the dr650 plates thicker or what, any 1 been through this. Thanx

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

This link will allow you to check the parts numbers for yourself. When you do it will show that the the GS1100 and DR650 share the same part.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

83 is an extra plate year from the factory.
      not needed....
      you need nine fibers and 8 steels to make it like the 80-82 1100 and the 84-86 1150.

Comment

Thanx 4 the help, 1st timer, got new pressure plate, oem steels and ebc clutch springs. Did I do it right?

Comment

i do it a little different myself.
          did you get oem fibers?
          pressure plate is only needed if wore.
          steels are cheap but used ones are fine if flat and bead blasted.
          springs depends on your riding.
          i like 3 barnett gold's and 3 factory used springs.

Comment

the pressure plate wore out and I did get oem fibers.

Comment

I don't know why Suzuki went to the 10 fiber plate clutches in '83, perhaps an attempt to beef them up, but they added an extra fiber plate for '83 and were steel backed. The new fiber with the steel back plates were thinner and tended to eat up the aluminum baskets and in '84 they went back to the 9 plate aluminum backed fiber plates.
              You can use your search function and you'll see lots of threads on this.
              The DR650 and the new revised part number for the '82's are the same, read somewhere the original aluminum backed fibers had asbestos in them,
              don't know for sure though.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                I don't know why Suzuki went to the 10 fiber plate clutches in '83, perhaps an attempt to beef them up, but they added an extra fiber plate for '83 and were steel backed. The new fiber with the steel back plates were thinner and tended to eat up the aluminum baskets and in '84 they went back to the 9 plate aluminum backed fiber plates.
                You can use your search function and you'll see lots of threads on this.
                The DR650 and the new revised part number for the '82's are the same, read somewhere the original aluminum backed fibers had asbestos in them,
                don't know for sure though.
                yes asbestos...
                i have almost 2 complete NOS sets of fibers.
                they smell quite nice

Comment

Do I still need 10 fibers?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Williams View Post
                    Do I still need 10 fibers?
                    9 fibers...8 steels when using OEM NON 83 clutch pack.

Comment

Those are the new part number for the 1100s. I just installed nine new fibers with the same part number.
                      They work very nicely.
                      As Mr. Blower says "Nine fibers and eight steels. there is a steel wired into your inner clutch hub so that makes nine and nine.
                      Do not use the ten and ten because it will eat up your baskets.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

My clutch basket is no good but my mechanic (also gs crazy) put his billet basket in my bike and rode it said it is silky smooth and the ebc springs r just right, also installed a new starter clutch and all hardware. Thanx 4 the info.

Comment

Working...
                        X