Valves n Shims...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valves n Shims...

Well, after much reading about tuning carbs n whatnot, the place to start is the valves and work out from there... So I purchased the tappet tool, and a new gasket. Once that arrives I will start the teardown to figure out what shims I will need. I have no idea what the PO did or didnt do to the bike. I read all the basscliff stuffs, thank you! Good info there. Any other helpful hints the group can lend is much appreciated. For now I have one question.. Where do you folks get your shims?

-Mark
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
    Where do you folks get your shims?
    From out of my engine.

That's not as stupid as it sounds. If you check all your clearances and know your shim sizes (you will have to find those out as this is your first foray in there) you can usually do a bit of hokey-cokey and shuffle things round and maybe only have to buy one or two new shims.

Z1 seems to be a good place to buy those new shims in the US though.

Or join the GSR shim club.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Best tip is to measure all your clearances and check the thickness of your current shims first, and use that to figure out what shims you need. You might find some clearances that are tight and others that are loose, such that you can swap your current shims around to bring some or all of your clearances into spec.

Whatever you do DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE/CAMS WITHOUT A SHIM IN PLACE. If you need to turn the cams to swap shims, pick up a thin spare shim to use as a placeholder to rotate the cams.

Once you know what you need, you can generally pick up individual shims from a local dealer or repair shop. Even if they don't sell them over the counter, a lot of times the shop will let you buy or even trade shims with them.

Failing that, you can order shims from Z1 or trade shims through the shim club on this forum. Look in the Member Service sub-forum for the Shim Club details.

HTH

PS - put your location in your profile. If you are local to other GSR folks, they can help you with shims and/or doing the valves. I have helped at least one member in the Chicago area with that stuff.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Eric

Comment

Thanks again all, I appreciate the time you are taking to answer my questions. Will let you know what I find out when I open her up.
          -Mark
          Boston, MA
          Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
          sigpic

Comment

shim tool came in the mail today... now waiting on the gaskets. Just curious, I have a full machine shop at my disposal. Rather than get a temporary shim, I'm thinking I could machine one. Whats the dimensions I should use?
            -Mark
            Boston, MA
            Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
            sigpic

Comment

29.50 mm diameter and 2.60 mm thick should get you into the Ballpark.

Eric

Comment

You can use a coin that's roughly the same size - 2 bob bit works a treat over here but you'll be all dollars and cents and will know better than me how big they are. Needs to be about 29mm diameter and 2mm thick.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

just do them one at a time and there is no need to turn over engine while shim is out,makes it a **** load easier doing one at a time less chance of mistakes /errors recording shim sizes and loading them into spread sheet

Comment

Originally posted by daturat100r View Post
                    just do them one at a time and there is no need to turn over engine while shim is out,makes it a **** load easier doing one at a time less chance of mistakes /errors recording shim sizes and loading them into spread sheet
                    Agreed. Measure the two adjacent clearances then take one of the shims out. Write the shim size down and measure it. Put it back in and do the adjacent valve shim. Repeat 4 times. Make a chart like this or get a spreadsheet from Steve.

Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

Originally posted by Missile99 View Post
                      Make a chart like this or get a spreadsheet from Steve.
                      Steve?? Who the heck is "Steve"???

Spreadsheet info is found below.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Missile, I like the way you do your specs.
                        Neater and with less/no oil stains on the sheet.
                        I just do before and after specs. for each of my bikes and mic them also.

Eric

Comment

Thanks guys, will do. Hopefully I can play the shell...err... shim game. Going to swing by the local auto parts store and rent a compression tester tonight and see where I'm at. If all checks out and compression is fine, would I still want to do the shims? I'm thinking yes....
                          -Mark
                          Boston, MA
                          Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                          sigpic

Comment

Yes, Check your valve clearances!!! Very often overlooked by previous owner(s). Bad things will occur if they are too tight. Ray
                            "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                            GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                            1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                            1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                            1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Yes.
                              Every new to you bike should be treated as a blank chalkboard.
                              "Nothing has even been done to the bike", should be your plan of attack.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X