X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    Steve?? Who the heck is "Steve"???

Spreadsheet info is found below.

It's this guy around here with no name. I think he's some kind of GS wizard or something.

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
    Missile, I like the way you do your specs.
    Neater and with less/no oil stains on the sheet.
    I just do before and after specs. for each of my bikes and mic them also.

Eric
    Thanks Eric. Somehow I managed to keep oil away. The bucket tool never slipped.

Ghost, I found the valve check/adjust to be simple and even somewhat enjoyable. The worst part was cleaning the friggin' gasket surfaces.
    Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

As I read thru the pages of information regarding valves and shims. A question keeps popping up. as the valve wears, it seats deeper/tighter. When you reshim you are adding thickness to fix this problem. Doesnt this now not let the valve seat completely? Or if it gets to this point a new valve is required?
      -Mark
      Boston, MA
      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
      sigpic
      1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
        As I read thru the pages of information regarding valves and shims. A question keeps popping up. as the valve wears, it seats deeper/tighter. When you reshim you are adding thickness to fix this problem. Doesnt this now not let the valve seat completely? Or if it gets to this point a new valve is required?
        The valves do tighten up, yes. When you adjust your clearances you almost always reduce the shim thickness, allowing the valve to seat completely. If you're at a point where you're putting in a really thin shim, then maybe you would consider doing valves. From what I've read around here, it would take some serious mileage or neglect to get to that point.
        Erik

1982 GS550M

Comment

Originally posted by Missile99 View Post
          The valves do tighten up, yes. When you adjust your clearances you almost always reduce the shim thickness, allowing the valve to seat completely. If you're at a point where you're putting in a really thin shim, then maybe you would consider doing valves. From what I've read around here, it would take some serious mileage or neglect to get to that point.
          the valve wears, the valve stays "open" with the thick shim, and a thinner shim is needed to "close/seat" it propper... OK I think I have it....

Now, what about decarburizing the pistons/heads? Do any of you treat at this point with sprays or additives?
          -Mark
          Boston, MA
          Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
          sigpic

Comment

the valve wears, the valve stays "open" with the thick shim, and a thinner shim is needed to "close/seat" it propper... OK I think I have it....

Now, what about decarburizing the pistons/heads? Do any of you treat at this point with sprays or additives?

You said it well. The valve wears in and the thick shim hangs it open, reducing compression. Speaking of which, if when you check your compression the numbers are good then I wouldn't worry about cleaners or additives. The way I clean up carbon is to run to 9500 r's at every shift. That should do it. My $.02. Others here may have a different solution.
            Erik

1982 GS550M

Comment

Took a ride, 15 minutes or so to warm up the bike brought it home to run the compression check. Pulled all wires, bumped the starter. #1 @115 #2 and #3 @90,#4 at 105...
              -Mark
              Boston, MA
              Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
              sigpic

Comment

If all checks out and compression is fine, would I still want to do the shims? I'm thinking yes....
                Good thinking.

By the time the compression goes down, it's too late, the damage is already done. May as well adjust the valves and prevent the damage.

Pulled all wires, bumped the starter. #1 @115 #2 and #3 @90,#4 at 105...
                Not all that bad, did you have the throttle held open?

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I didn't do it when it was running, I pulled all the wires and bumped the starter till the guage maxes out. I predict I did it wrong..
                  -Mark
                  Boston, MA
                  Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                  sigpic

Comment

It's this guy around here with no name. I think he's some kind of GS wizard or something.

Thanks Eric. Somehow I managed to keep oil away. The bucket tool never slipped.

Ghost, I found the valve check/adjust to be simple and even somewhat enjoyable. The worst part was cleaning the friggin' gasket surfaces.

I agree Eric, I rather enjoy that as well. I've helped several folks do their valves over the years. These days I don't ride enough to need to check mine often, so helping someone else helps me stay up on the process. Ray
                    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

I didn't do it when it was running, I pulled all the wires and bumped the starter till the guage maxes out. I predict I did it wrong..
                      If you don't keep the throttle open when checking compression, you will likely see lower numbers . You may be in good condition ring and piston wise with the numbers you saw, with a closed throttle. Ray
                      "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                      GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                      1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                      1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                      1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Thanks, I will pop the wires back on and repeat, this time running.
                        -Mark
                        Boston, MA
                        Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                        sigpic

Comment

NO!! No need to have it running, just hold the throttle open while you are cranking it.

If the throttle is closed, the cylinders can't draw in enough air to compress, giving false low readings.

Just leave the wires off, leave ALL the plugs out, hold the throttle wide open, press the starter button and watch the gauge.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Whew good catch will do
                            -Mark
                            Boston, MA
                            Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                            sigpic

Comment

Let us know what you find out mvalenti. Sounds like you'll be in good shape if you hold the throttle open while checking. Certainly adjust your valves next. Re-check the compression if you're curious.

I checked my compression the other day. I started at low rpm, low speed in 2nd gear. Then twist the throttle. I determined that this aspect was good because the torque pulled the bike nicely, then at about 5k rpm the engine went bonkers and ripped toward redline. No weak feeling the whole way through the revs. I suppose the sweet, deceiving acceleration from good torque is more pronounced with the larger cc engines. Not fair.
                              Just kidding, the 550 is a blast.

No seriously, how is the torque pull out of the 850+ cc engines?
                              Erik

1982 GS550M

Comment

No seriously, how is the torque pull out of the 850+ cc engines?
                                It's better than the smaller bikes, but wait until they hit 8,000 or so, that's what they were designed for.
                                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                                X