No announcement yet.

Valves n Shims...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't wait to get it to that point. Especially since I shaved close to 200 lbs off the bike with some redesign and stripping off all of the nonessentials.

-mark
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Thanks tkent02. The torque pull is fun but 8000 rpm is where the real enjoyment is.

Mvalenti, 200 lb diet? Dang, so you can pick it up with one hand and move it around like a bicycle now, right?
      Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

Some of the shaved bits are, vetter fairing and bracketry, gs shocks, smaller tank, minimal seat, crash bars, aluminum clip ons in place of steel bars just to name a few.
        -Mark
        Boston, MA
        Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
        sigpic

Comment

slightly better tonight...
          #1 110psi, 2&3 95psi, #4 115psi
          -Mark
          Boston, MA
          Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
          sigpic

Comment

Bump
            These were taken warm and with throttle open. Also, my valve cover gasket came in. Question, what harm is there in measuring the shims, putting the valve cover back on and riding a bit till my shims come in?? Do I need to put gasket cement on the new gasket? If the shims are way off I'd wait to ride...

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
            slightly better tonight...
            #1 110psi, 2&3 95psi, #4 115psi
            -Mark
            Boston, MA
            Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
            sigpic

Comment

The compression numbers seem low to me but I don't know what they are for your 850G. It's 128-185 for me. I got 110 cold or so on all 4.

In my opinion:

1) Don't ride if your clearances are so tight that no feeler gauge fits and the shim bucket won't turn. That is, won't turn when cam is in proper position for clearance check.
              2) If the above doesn't apply but there are tight clearances I still wouldn't ride since your wait is likely less than 2 weeks. On the other hand, what would 2 more weeks hurt?

What are your compression specs? Check them after your adjustment. Then ride it and see how the bike feels. If it doesn't feel tired and has good torque push don't worry yet.
              Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

Thanks Eric, yea the nice weather is back. It's hard not to ride. Wish the gasket came a couple weeks ago when it was pouring out.
                -Mark
                Boston, MA
                Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X