Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850L Drivetrain/Clutch Problems?

Greetings Everyone!

I need help trouble shooting what could possibly be wrong with my motorcycle since i don't really have much money to spend on paying $500 for the mechanic to open up the motor just to tell me whats wrong. Here's the story...

Purchased The GS850L a few weeks back and was running great. I noticed i had some kind of leak on the bottom end under area where you put in the gear oil. I tightened the some bolts down there and the leak stopped. What i should have done was replaced the gear oil but thinking i didn't lose much i bothered not to. So after riding it for a few about a hundred miles i heard lock click almost like a hit a rock and it bounched off the bottom of the motor. nothing else happened after that. then another 30 miles later. the same thing happen but alot louder. well 1st and 2nd gear is fine and when you get to 3rd gear theres there clicking and occasional clunk. 4th gear and 5 is a constantly clicking and vibration sound almost as if you have some loose metal vibrating. The Sounds are very irregular. there is no pattern to it. sometimes all the noise will stop for a few seconds then return... when the motor is running and i am not moving everything sound normal like nothing is wrong. But as soon as I start moving thats when everything comes back.

Again, i have only owned a motorcycle less than a month. But common sense(the one i lacked that probably caused the problem) tells me i messed up the gear and something along the drive train. I don't dare to ride it around but after a local shop failed to deliver with their quick diagnostic without opening the motor i had to drive it home. It is drivable and shifts through all the gears with no problems. But i did notice when im in the lower gear if i throttle it and let go of the throttle it almost feels like theres something loose inside. you feel a slight clunk.

My next question. How ambitious is it for me to try to work on it by myself?. i Have the manual and plan to buy the proper tools for it. When i open up the motor. Will i be able to tell which parts to replace with this untrained eye and mechanic skills? and how likely is it for me to get the parts(which im most concerned about).

ive only ridden this bike for a few weeks total and already attached to it. i do not want to get rid of it!

Thank you for reading and i will appreciate any input that will help me out!

Off hand it sounds like it could be a dry spline in either the rear wheel, or the drive shaft. I'd pull the rear wheel and inspect both side of the spline before doing anything else. If that looks to be okay, then move on to draining the secondary lube and inspecting the secondary gear set.

As you really should change the lube in the secondary and final drives, you could drain the lube from both units and inspect for broken pieces in the lube after you pull the rear wheel.
    Last edited by rustybronco; 06-04-2012, 11:52 AM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thanks Bronco. i need to start getting some tools together and borrow my brother in laws garage

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. cHoco,

Have you replaced the bevel gear oil? The crankcase oil? The final drive unit oil? Hopefully you haven't broken any teeth off any gears. See the tutorials on my little website. It sounds like your 30 year old motorcycle needs some maintenance. Go through the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome". Skipping steps or taking shortcuts will lead to frustration and catastrophic failure.

You'll find a virtual GS850G par-tay on my little website. Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

BASSCLIFF,

Thank you much kind Sir! This was the most promising GS forum that i stumbled upon and it seems i came to the right place. Thank you very much for welcoming me here. As mentioned i haven't had this machine for long let alone ride it much. But there is just something about it. The easy way out is to suck it up and lose a few hundred dollars but im willing to invest in it to make it run. I already plan on buying a brand new bike but im keeping this so i can somehow get it back to life! Thanks again

Comment

Working...
          X