clutch or bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch or bearings?

hey there, iv tried seaching thru google and the forums for an answer to my problem and have been coming up empty so here it is. I am rebuilding an 82 gs650G and was getting ready to install new valve shims when my motor wouldnt fully turn over anymore. it had been spinning fine befor up until a couple days ago. it will turn 3/4 either direction but not complety around. I removed the clutch springs and now the motor turns no problem. I dunno what is causeing the rpoblem, i drained and checked the oil, all good. i looked around the motor and cannot see any problems with gears or bearings or such. any ideas?

This problem started during valve clearance check or someother work?
    Don't turn it much without shims in place and avoid turning crankshaft counterclockwise (staring at signal generator plate)
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

i have removed the top end of the motor so no damage will be done to shims and such, i have the cam chain pulled taught by a rope hanging to avoid chain binding up. ya it was during the time when i was repalcing the shims with new ones i had ordered that this problem has come up, it would work fine befor when i had engine befor and after assembly

Comment

why did you remove the cam chain tensioner? did you remove the cams to change shims or use the correct tool?
        sounds like your valve timing has slipped
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

everything was removed down to the lower engine cases, had to swap out pistons and replace the cylinders, i dont think it is the valve timing that has slipped since everything seems to work fine when i remove the clutch assemply, its when i have the clutch installed it is giving me the problems.

Comment

silly question but are you sure the transmission is in neutral? if you can turn the engine with the pressure off your clutch then the problem lies in the transmission area
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

yupp she is in neutral

Comment

Originally posted by Venom67 View Post
                i have removed the top end of the motor so no damage will be done to shims and such, i have the cam chain pulled taught by a rope hanging to avoid chain binding up. ya it was during the time when i was repalcing the shims with new ones i had ordered that this problem has come up, it would work fine befor when i had engine befor and after assembly
                Me confused! so now the cams are in place,the timing chain is on camshafts (and they are in sync with crank) and you started replacing shims? something is binding until you released clutch pressure- how about the oil pump drive gear, are the notches facing right direction and not dragging on something?
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  Me confused! so now the cams are in place,the timing chain is on camshafts (and they are in sync with crank) and you started replacing shims? something is binding until you released clutch pressure- how about the oil pump drive gear, are the notches facing right direction and not dragging on something?
                  me too, you say your cam chain is held taught with a piece of rope, so is your tensioner in place and set and your cam timing set?
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

no, cams are not installed, it is only assembled up to the cylinder bore with pistons installed. it was assembled with cams installed and timming was dead on until this problem occured i had to take it back apart.

Comment

ill post a picture of the set up in a bit to alleviate confusion

Comment

Originally posted by Venom67 View Post
                        ill post a picture of the set up in a bit to alleviate confusion
                        That will be nice, So you discovered the binding problem and removed the head; but did head removal eliminate binding??? must be getting close to beer time.
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

K, not having any luck uploading any pics. Binding problem didnt occur until a couplw days after i had reassembled snd was installing thr new shims. It would turn freely, measured my valve clearances and when the sizes arrived i went to install and it began to bind

Comment

The shim fiddling operation must be the cause, since it turned freely with old shims- nothing dropped down camchain tunnel?
                            But you didn't answer question whether it still bound up with head off.
                            1981 gs650L

Comment

yes it still continues to bind up with the head off. the only remidy i have found for everything to spin was to remove clutch springs.

Comment

Working...
                              X