gs750 running lean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs750 running lean

i have a 1980 gs 750E. I recently changed the head gasket and valve cover gasket, they were leaking pretty bad. Adjusted valve clearances. I cleaned and synced carbs. I have brand new spark plugs. The bike rides great in town but when i get out and really gun on it. it won't quite rap out all the way. it will only rev to about 6-7 grand. I went back and pulled the plugs while they were still hot, they were very very WHITE. My pilot screw r 2 turns out, is that the source of this lean problem? Does turning them in add more fuel or add more air? the bike has great low and midrange power, but falls on its face at high rpm. I am using the stock airbox and filter, and a 4 into 1 exhaust.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2012, 01:25 AM.

Originally posted by p_trice View Post
    i have a 1980 gs 750E. I recently changed the head gasket and valve cover gasket, they were leaking pretty bad. Adjusted valve clearances. I cleaned and synced carbs. I have brand new spark plugs. The bike rides great in town but when i get out and really gun on it. it won't quite rap out all the way. it will only rev to about 6-7 grand. I went back and pulled the plugs while they were still hot, they were very very WHITE. My pilot screw r 2 turns out, is that the source of this lean problem? Does turning them in add more fuel or add more air? the bike has great low and midrange power, but falls on its face at high rpm. I am using the stock airbox and filter, and a 4 into 1 exhaust.
    Did you put in a stage 1 jet kit when the 4into1 went on? If not you will have too. I did the same thing and have the same bike.
    Pa any pics?
    No signature

Comment

I bought the bike with the exhaust already on it. The jets r stock to my knowledge. So if i put the stage 1 kit on, it won't run as lean? does it need to be an authentic dynojet kit or does it matter?

Comment

tore my carbs apart today and looked at the main jets. they say 142 on them. r these the original?

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. p_trice,

You'll find a chart with all the stock jetting on my little website. Look on the "Carb Specs" page.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

ok, so if my main jets are already bigger than stock, why won't the bike rap out like it should? doesn't make sense

Comment

If it won't rev out it's running rich. 142 mains are massively over size for a pipe alone. Stock is 112.5. I would run those with a 4-1. Or 115s maybe, just to play a little safe.

Set your tickover using the highest revs method. You're probably a bit lean on the mixture screw hence the white plugs.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

so do u think a stage 1 jet kit will cure my problems? it come with a 116 and a 120 main jet.

Comment

Originally posted by p_trice View Post
                  so do u think a stage 1 jet kit will cure my problems? it come with a 116 and a 120 main jet.
                  Probably but 4 main jets are a lot cheaper than a Dynojet kit.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                  X