No announcement yet.

Head Gasket: reuse or replace??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess I should clarify that its a brand spanking new Wiseco head gasket that went on when I installed the head following the valve job. It looks and still smells like new. Its just been torqued three times.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
      I have a rubber one on mine, been on and off a few times, no issues that I can see...

A rubber head gasket?

Never seen one.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by OldSkool View Post
        Guess I should clarify that its a brand spanking new Wiseco head gasket that went on when I installed the head following the valve job. It looks and still smells like new. Its just been torqued three times.
        BTW, Cometic makes the gaskets FOR Wiseco.

Eric

Comment

I have a rubber one on mine, been on and off a few times, no issues that I can see...

I think mayhaps you're thinking of the valve cover gasket?
          I've never seen a rubber head gasket. I've seen multi layer steel, and that waffle fiber like material they used on the early 8v from the factory, never seen a rubber head gasket though.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
            Chuck, it came off nice and clean, they aren't cheap, so back on it went and it worked just fine.

Was I lucky? maybe, maybe not. All I know is I had nothing to loose and it worked out just fine. Had it heat cycled and stuck to the cylinder and head, I would have found another one for it.
            This! If you're using OEM head and base gaskets and pear shaped orings on your 8 valve model like ya should, darn right I'd at least try and see if it seals. The OEM head gasket alone costs as much as some of the full Vesrah gasket kits. If I can save $150 in exchange for the posibility that I might have to put another two hours into it to change it out for new if it doesn't work, that's worth it to me.

Comment

He's talking the head gasket NOT the cam cover gasket !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                A rubber head gasket?

Never seen one.

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                I think mayhaps you're thinking of the valve cover gasket?
                I've never seen a rubber head gasket. I've seen multi layer steel, and that waffle fiber like material they used on the early 8v from the factory, never seen a rubber head gasket though.
                Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                He's talking the head gasket NOT the cam cover gasket !!!
                Dammit.....

I knew this senior moment crap was going to catch up with me sooner or latter.....

Thanks for setting me straight, it's exactly what I was talking about and thinking about,,,,,,the valve cover gasket.....dooooohhhh

I will now go back to reading and edumacting myself some more....

Comment

Dammit.....

I knew this senior moment crap was going to catch up with me sooner or latter.....
                  LMAO!
                  Thanks!

Eric

Comment

A rubber head gasket?

Never seen one.

Not on a GS maybe but do Banshee head O rings count?
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      Yes it can be reused..BUT WHY????? Why try to reuse an already CRUSHED DOWN gasket and throw wrenches and curse for 3 hrs when its crap. That just doesnt add up to any kind of logical sense in my mind...sorry.
                      For some people $100 bucks might be a month of saving. So it might be worth the risk of failure VS the risk of lost time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunburn View Post
                        For some people $100 bucks might be a month of saving. So it might be worth the risk of failure VS the risk of lost time.

That is a good point. It CAN work, as well.
                        I have successfully done a second install in the past, using the same gasket.

If the torque was applied evenly, and no other damage ensued, it can work.
                        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

A rubber head gasket?

Never seen one.

They could be just what you need when the head is badly warped
                          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
                          X