transmission problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transmission problems.

Hi, my name is Rich and Im pretty new to this site. Just recently bought my first GS. Absolutely love it. I'd like to thank you guys in advance for any info that could help me out with this deal.

It's a 1978 gs1000, chain drive, Was taking off from a stop light in 1st gear. Took off normal as allways. Just before I was gonna shift to 2nd it acted like it just slipped into neutral. Tapped shifter to get back to 1st and it was still in first. Still acting like neutral went to 2nd 3rd and up and nothing. Seems to shift through all the gears fine but no power to the chain. The clutch feels just like always completly normal. Pulls the same as always. It made no unusual noise. Rolls around just fine. I can put it into any gear with it shut off and it free wheels around just as if it was in neutral with no drag what so ever. I took clutch side cover off and the clutch basket looks to be fine. Everything in tact. Im gonna go to the garage now and take the chain and front sprocket off and make sure the output shaft feels and looks ok.

Anyone know of what the problem could be? Is this common at all?

OK. Never mind. I found the problem. It was the front sprocket. Splines are gone. Nut was loose and must of been a cheap sprocket. Splines on the shaft still look good. Thanks guys.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. longbike-rich,

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Well that was an easy one. I believe that the chain and both sprockets should be replaced as a set. IIRC. If not I am sure someone will be along to correct me.

Comment

Working...
        X