Revoving Stator Cover, GS650GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revoving Stator Cover, GS650GL

I tried to remove the stator cover today for polishing, but after removing the 8mm bolts and popping the gasket seal I found some tiny wires leading from the cover and back into the engine, probably into the starter cavity. I was afraid to pull on the wires for fear of breaking them off. My question: Do you have to remove the starter (and hence the carbs [again!]) to get the stator cover off? The cover felt like there was a spring holding it in place, is that because of the stator magnets, or am I missing something here? I've found lots of info on testing stators, but little on removal procedures. Can't find anything in Suzuki service manual specific to this cover.

Will appreciate any guidance,
    SZ
    Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2012, 11:45 PM. Reason: Misspelling

No..remove the starter cover and the sprocket covers. Then you can follow the stator wires back and unplug them from the harness. Feed them back thru the hole in the starter well and your all set.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yes on the resistance you feel..thats the pull of the magnets on the rotor..just pull it off.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        No..remove the starter cover and the sprocket covers. Then you can follow the stator wires back and unplug them from the harness. Feed them back thru the hole in the starter well and your all set.
        Thanks! I'll try again tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          Yes on the resistance you feel..thats the pull of the magnets on the rotor..just pull it off.

Isn't this where you tell him about wrapping cables around the cover and connecting them to the battery to initiate auto-removal?

Sorry...that is an old one from earlier GSR days and I don't recall who thought it up.

As Chuck said, that is all you have to do. If it is really tough to remove, a wide pry-bar with tape wrapped around the end will assist in getting it moving. The tape provides a bit of a cushion and helps avoid scratching the case.

You said you could feel resistance, so it seems more likely you have only to continue pullling and it will come right off.

Small hint: Watch for spacers/washers inside the cover, by the starter
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by qisteve View Post
            Thanks! I'll try again tomorrow!
            also, if you are going throuh all this, please consider going to your local Ace Hardware and buying new Stainless Steel Allen head bolts to replace those CRAPPY soft Philps heads screws.. and dont forget to coat them with Anti-Seize.

Comment

Argon..unless your a weakling 3rd grade schoolgirl, the cover isnt crap to pull off. The hardest thing is not jamming it on the line up dowel..its gott come straight off. I use two flat putty knifes to get it slid back a bit so i can get a finger hold on the back and pull it off. And to the original poster. The starter gear shaft acts as the rear line up dowel. When you put the starter gear back in, be sure theres a washer on each side of it. Put the gear back in and be sure the shaft is all the way seated..wiggle it a bit to be sure.
              Last edited by chuck hahn; 06-14-2012, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X