clutch cable broke...again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch cable broke...again

ive gone through 2 cables so far...but they were used (probably 30 year old ones???)

now i got the 10% stiffer springs...but i only have 3 in (others are the old 3)

now my current cable is frayed about to break..are those springs causing this? or just old cable/new springs

dont wanna shell out $30 for a cable that wont last

Let me guess, it's breaking right up by the lever, right?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

They always snap at the ferrule (barrel). Go here for a new one: Cheap cables

Comment

Buy a new lever with the cable, and make sure you lube the lever pivot, and the hole that the round bearing on the end of the cable rides in. If the cable end isn't free to rotate in the lever when you pull it, the cable must flex, it isn't going to last very long like that. Also make sure as it moves that the cable isn't riding against the end of the screw adjuster in the perch. It's hard to see, but you can if you look hard enough, you can also feel it with a new cable and lever. Also if the perch is worn replace it.

Suzuki cables are much better than any aftermarket ones.

Your heavier springs can only add to the problem, they aren't necessary unless you are trying to build up finger strength.

Comment

this ones yes is breaking at the lever..and my last one broke at the metal arm that pivots on the clutch cover

thanks for the link too

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post

and my last one broke at the metal arm that pivots on the clutch cover
            Again, if it's not free to pivot it must flex, and it won't last long.

Check that that pivot isn't or wasn't somehow stuck.

Comment

Also check for metal burrs.
              Get a Suzuki cable and listen to tkent.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I guess the length between your clutch and your lever hasn't changed since new?

S.

Comment

Originally posted by silverhorse47 View Post
                  I guess the length between your clutch and your lever hasn't changed since new?

S.
                  havnt ordered mine yet..cant afford it right now...going through hell in my world..trying to today if i can find work

Comment

Working...
                  X