Valve tappet screw and nut coming loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve tappet screw and nut coming loose

Guys - My #1 exhaust cylinder valve tappet screw seems to keep coming loose, I heard a TAPPING sound and thought I better open her back up. I found the screw and nut all the way out and the second one the nut only. I was lucky that they didn’t go all the way down through the oil galley. I cleaned up the treads, and replaced them (cranked down on the locking nuts) and did a full adjustment on all the valves to make sure the others were all ok. Well I just started her up tonight and is sounds like the “tap” is coming back. Any thoughts>?? Maybe some medium lock, loctite<>>>???

Replace the nut.
    They get stress cracks underneath that are difficult to see unless they are under a load.
    Not a bad idea to replace both parts.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
      Replace the nut.
      They get stress cracks underneath that are difficult to see unless they are under a load.
      Not a bad idea to replace both parts.

Eric
      thanks Eric - I was thinking the same since its a 32 year old part that has been under load....

Comment

Originally posted by RobG1970 View Post
        thanks Eric - I was thinking the same since its a 32 year old part that has been under load....
        what bike? If it is a sixteen valve 1100/750/700/1150 I have some replacements.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          what bike? If it is a sixteen valve 1100/750/700/1150 I have some replacements.
          yes Chef - its a its a 1980 GS750E 16 valve what would you want for them>???? Rob

Comment

Originally posted by RobG1970 View Post
            yes Chef - its a its a 1980 GS750E 16 valve what would you want for them>???? Rob
            I sent you a PM.
            I work offshore and will be gone for a week starting tomorrow evening.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              I sent you a PM.
              I work offshore and will be gone for a week starting tomorrow evening.
              Chef - thanks for the GREAT offer, but I ordered new ones BEFORE I seen your message..... Thanks Again for looking out for me.... Rob

Comment

Valve spring keeper came out....

so I got the adjusting screws and nuts in the mail and got all excited. SOOOO I pulled the valve cover off ONLY to find one of the valve spring retainer keepers came out on one of the exaust valves, I was able to recover them both... WTF >??? so now I am making a valve spring compressor and am going to try (with rope trick) to compress the springs and put the keepers back in place, and then replace the adajusting screw and nut, the check the lash on ALL the valves again.... Have you ever wondered if your bike just doesnt want to be riden anymore>?? little weird things like this keep happening RIGHT when I am about to put her back on the road....

Guys and Ladies, any thoughs on why the valve spring keeper would come out <>>????

Thanks,
                Rob
                Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2012, 01:23 PM.

Comment

I would buy a new set of keepers for the valve that lost it at the least.
                  Check the valve stem and retainer to see WHY it came out.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                  X