My latest FU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My latest FU

So after a horrible extended weekend of doing a fork seal replacement, I take the 750 out Sunday afternoon for a road test. Great ride and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Tonight I have a look at the bike and what do I see but the speedo cable is detached from the gear drive on the axle.....WTF???? It gets worse.............I go to put it back on when I realise there is no inner cable I lost it somewhere on the ride

Sheit, if it wasn't for bad luck , I'd have no luck at all.

I think I better quit riding while I'm still in one piece.

I think I'm well out front in the running for GSR F-Up of the Year.

Cheers all,
    spyug

How the f'in heck did that happen......

I say you go back out, retrace your ride and find the cable, stick it back in, and give er....just to get even....

but seriously that sucks

Comment

Last time I did that the inner cable was wrapped around the axle. Tightly.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

After buying the bike a 6 hour drive away, I got home and unpacked my bike from the trunk of the car, got it running and took it for a jaunt down the road to find out the spedo didn't work. Checked and sure enough, the cable was missing out of it.
        So I ordered one.
        When it got here I rolled my bike out of the garage and knelt down to remove the old cable shell from the drive gear, and what do I see?
        The old inner cable laying right under my foot, pressed into the gravel!
        I had the forks off the bike to make it fit in the trunk, and when we hauled it out and put the forks back on, it must have fallen out.

Long story short, I have a spare cable I could send you!!

Tank

Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2012, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Last time I did that the inner cable was wrapped around the axle. Tightly.
          Hey spyug,,,,,there is still a chance you didn't lose it......

have a look around your axle.....

I couldn't resist...

Comment

Hah, I'm starting to enjoy reading your f-up threads, the backwards oil filter is still the best one though

Comment

Hah, I'm starting to enjoy reading your f-up threads, the backwards oil filter is still the best one though
              I'm just practicing my standup comedy routine. Just call me Seinfeld.......or make that Kramer

Cheers,
              spyug

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
                After buying the bike a 6 hour drive away, I got home and unpacked my bike from the trunk of the car, got it running and took it for a jaunt down the road to find out the spedo didn't work. Checked and sure enough, the cable was missing out of it.
                So I ordered one.
                When it got here I rolled my bike out of the garage and knelt down to remove the old cable shell from the drive gear, and what do I see?
                The old inner cable laying right under my foot, pressed into the gravel!
                I had the forks off the bike to make it fit in the trunk, and when we hauled it out and put the forks back on, it must have fallen out.

Long story short, I have a spare cable I could send you!!

Tank

I love this pic as it brought back memories of me hauling a beat up old Kawi 1000 down from northern Ontario with it sitting in the back of a ' 78 Cordova. had some interesting stares from folks as my tailpipe was dragging over bumps in the road.

Comment

the bike in the trunk is the most redneckist picture i've seen in a long time. brings tears to my eyes. thank you mr. tank.
                  2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                  82 gs1100L probably the next project
                  1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                  1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP
                  https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2f1debec_t.jpg

Comment

Yeah, the previous owner and his roommate thought we were nuts.
                    He went inside to get the ownership, and by the time he came back out we had the tank off, the seat off and the whole front fork assembly off and in the back seat.
                    He looked kinda puzzled for a minute until I said "Think you could give us a hand lifting it?"
                    He said "Lifting it to where?"

Why into the trunk of course!, lol.

Tank

Comment

I wouldn't even notice if my Speedo quit...I never look at it!

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                        Except_when_a_middle-class_tax_collector_is_present.__

Eric

Comment

Well my speedo had quit and I run a bicycle computer which was more accurate anyway so looking at it wouldn't tell me anything either.

Spy

Comment

I don't get around much…Never seen one of those?

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
                            Tank

I gotta get me one of those, Spare Motorbike, In The Trunk!
                            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Tank, you just need to get a slightly bigger car as they also fit into the back seat...

Those pic's are AFTER the other swing-arm and these were removed...

After being put together...

Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X