Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. spaytons,

There's a virtual GS850G par-tay over at my little website. Feel free to stop by. You might just need to use a little sand paper on those fibers. If the bike has sat a long time the springs could be a little out of spec. They're cheap. Use Rotella-T 15w40 diesel engine oil or similar. It's good stuff.

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Get a set of clutch fibers, they are not that expensive. and new springs.
      If you open it up and scrape gasket why not do it right?
      If someone used "energy saving" car motor oil in the bike the fibers are going to be black and slick. That's why we advocate Rotella T and other diesel oils. They also have a little zinc and other metals car oil doesn't. Of course castrol makes a 4T motorcycle oil that's cheap and doesn't hurt the clutch.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

@BassCliff, Thanks for the welcome. Yes I've been to your site and downloaded the manual. Thanks a bunch for that. So let me get this straight, instead of 10W-40, use 15w40 for the engine oil? How about the 2nd gear box? I got the 90 in it.
        @duaneage, ya I was thinking as long as I had it apart to go ahead and do the clutch too.
        And thanks everyone for the assist. I never thought I'd be back in the saddle again. Its been 5 years since I sold the sporty. When the jeep crapped out and I couldn't find a car that got good mileage I found this bike. The wife insisted I buy it, told me I needed it. And she was right.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2012, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Ok, just read the 'top 10' thread and that makes sense to me. Got castro 10/40 in it now. I'll get that changed out of there.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
            Guys, if you re-read his post, it ONLY HAS 10K on it.

Very hard to believe that it needs new parts.

Eric
            Eric, if you re-read his post, it's ONLY 31 years old.

Springs take a "set" based on time, as well as use.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Six springs from Suzuki are what, $10?
            I think it's closer to $20, but still cheap enough.

Originally posted by spaytons View Post
            I think I can swing 10 for springs.
            Don't forget another $10 for the gasket.

Originally posted by spaytons View Post
            Any suggestion what I should look out for or do if I'm that far into it?
            Just make sure everything is lined up when you put it back together.

If you start with the bike on the side stand, you won't even need to drain the oil before you start.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

@Basscliff, little website hahaha

Comment

Thanks

Finally got those springs installed. Shes a screamer now and shoots down the highway. Big thanks to everyone for the help.

Comment

To all those who think just because it has no miles springs and fibers don't go bad, that is not true. The GS 500 street fighter that we spent all winter building only had 2000 miles on it and it was only 22 years old, we took the clutch apart and cleaned up everything and separated the discs as they were stuck from sitting and put it all back together. Got the bike running and tuned so it ran good and the clutch decided to give up ship about a week after the bike was put into daily service. So sitting does not help and low miles mean nothing
                  1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                  80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                  1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                  83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                  85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                  1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                  “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                  If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

hjfick, that is bad news as the '79 1000 that I brought back to life had sat for over 18 years and rides down the road just fine with 33,000+ showing on it.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                    X