Slippage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slippage?

Hi everyone. Just found this site and this is my 1st post. So please forgive me if this has been discussed before. Did a quick search and didn't see this. So if you point me in the right direction................

Just purchased a '81 GS850. It has10K on it. When I 1st ride it in the morning or after its been setting awhile, when I get into 5th gear, between 50 and 60mph, it will 'slip'. And the motor will rev up for a few seconds. I don't know the RPMs cause I need to replace the cable.
    I replaced all the fluids. Motor was over filled. 2nd gear box I think had original fluid and smelled like varnish. Final drive had a lot of sediment on the plug and was as black as a ex-wife's heart. Rode it and then changed gearbox and final drive again. Anyone know about this?

Sometimes a simple change of oil to a hi-quality diesel oil will help with the clutches.
    Have you tried to adjust the clutch at the side case yet?

Eric

Comment

An 850 slipping going into 5th at 60mph has a problem. That's not even in the power band. A good diesel oil with a lot of detergent might clean some sludge off the disks, but I think you have a little more trouble than that.

Replace the clutch springs with new stock units and see if that helps. A lot of people have good luck with that, as the original springs probably have taken a compression set and no longer clamp the disks with enough force. They can't squeeze the oil out of the clutch pack fast enough. New springs are just a couple bucks each at our favorite sellers (see the list at BassCliff's site, I like PartShark, Z1 Enterprises and Boulevard Suzuki).

Some bikes are found with an absurdly heavy lever, because a PO tried to cure the slip with heavier springs. If you don't want to lay out cash for fibers, you might try 3 heavy springs (EBC I think) and 3 stock to minimize wear on your left hand.

New springs helped both my bikes, but I had to get new fiber disks to completely eliminate slipping. A set of fibers will run near $100, but may be necessary. My 850 used to slip on an up shift, and springs helped with that. Springs did not cure slipping in the power band, though. Same on my 1000.
      Last edited by Dogma; 06-19-2012, 05:52 PM.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

If three heavy springs is still too stiff, try two heavy and four stock. Just space the heavy ones across from each other.

Comment

Guys, if you re-read his post, it ONLY HAS 10K on it.

Very hard to believe that it needs new parts.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post

Eric
            What you don't know is the bikes history, or whats been used for oil. Could be oil that's been reduced to sludge from infrequent oil changes, or the wrong oil, who knows. It may get better through use working off a glaze or whatever.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

I still say that it is INCREDIBLY HARD TO BELIEVE that someone raced an 850G or tortured it enough that it needs any new clutch parts with that few miles.

I have put well over 60-70,000 hard miles on way more powerful GS'es and haven't needed any clutch parts yet.

Just sayin'

Eric

Comment

I appreciate the suggestions. I haven't made any adjustments myself. And it only does it after the bike has set awhile, early morning or after work. If its good and warm, no issue.

Comment

I still say that it is INCREDIBLY HARD TO BELIEVE that someone raced an 850G or tortured it enough that it needs any new clutch parts with that few miles.

I have put well over 60-70,000 hard miles on way more powerful GS'es and haven't needed any clutch parts yet.

Just sayin'

Eric
                  Both of mine needed new plates, both only about 30,000 miles at the time. Yeah, they should have been fine, but they weren't.
                  Dogma
                  --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by spaytons View Post
                    I appreciate the suggestions. I haven't made any adjustments myself. And it only does it after the bike has set awhile, early morning or after work. If its good and warm, no issue.
                    Still consistent with my 850's experience, IIRC. Go for the springs. Warning: The screws holding the springs are very soft and break easily. You might order some with the new springs. Get a cheap torque wrench that can go low enough. Beam style is good, and Harbor Freight clickers work well enough.
                    Dogma
                    --

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Sometimes a simple change of oil to a hi-quality diesel oil will help with the clutches.

@eric. What oil would you recomend? I just fill the box and ride it awhile? You'll have to forgive me, I'm new to the Suzuki scene. Previous rides: 2 HD sports, a '69 650 triumph, and a 175 Yamaha.

Comment

Eric
                        Plates, no, they should have zero wear. The springs have been compressed for thirty years, they are probably much shorter now that they need to be.

Six springs from Suzuki are what, $10?

If it's out of adjustment it will slip, if it's been out of adjustment and ridden while slipping a lot the plates will be ruined. I've even seen a bike with a new clutch ruined because the rider held the clutch lever part way in everywhere he rode. He just didn't get it.

10,000 miles can be plenty to ruin a clutch, in some circumstances.
                        The PO will just have to look and see.

New springs is my guess.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I think I can swing 10 for springs.

Comment

if something is out of adjustment enough to cause clutch slip this bad, it it would be very easy for this to toast the clutch. There is a lot of heat in clutch slip.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Did some research on replacing those springs. Looks easy enough. Any suggestion what I should look out for or do if I'm that far into it?

Comment

Working...
                              X