Engine Kills at Stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Kills at Stops

Just wondering what might be causing my bike to stall at intersections and stops. its not every time that it happens but enough to be annoying. it seems like my idle is low, could that be causing it to kill when i pull the clutch and let off the accelerator? and furthermore, now the bike won't start after the last time this happened stopping before turning out of a gas station. starter winds and solenoid clicks but it won't pop and then it drains the battery right away. any suggestions? thanks

I had the same problem, it would was getting hard to start, i was using the kick starter to get it started, then it would die at intersection until it was completely warmed up, went through the wiring, deleted a bunch of connectors, the connector from the ignition switch was melted, I don't even need the coil relay mode now.

Comment

Just a few things that would be handy to know:

1. Is this a Schwinn or a Huffy?

2. What model?

3. What is your idle speed setting?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Just a few things that would be handy to know:

1. Is this a Schwinn or a Huffy?

2. What model?

3. What is your idle speed setting?

He's got 19 posts, and still needs to learn to include more info than he thinks. Not that I'm any better when I get all worked up and can't wait to post, but I always hope no one will get *ahem* Schwinn with me.

Comment

Originally posted by cableguy View Post
          He's got 19 posts, and still needs to learn to include more info than he thinks. Not that I'm any better when I get all worked up and can't wait to post, but I always hope no one will get *ahem* Schwinn with me.
          But at least you have your location AND your bike listed.

Oh, some of us might get a bit "Huffy" at times, but NEVER "Schwinn".

Speaking of location, ... I am going to be in your neck of the woods Saturday, finishing up Jedz123's bike. You able to join us?

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sounds like the carbs are dirty, low gas levels due to low floats, petcock could be bad, bunch of things.

Start with taking the carbs off and cleaning them. Get that out of the way, sooner or later you have to do it.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Agreed. It goes back to air, fuel, and spark. You must have spark if it runs but won't idle, so that leaves air and fuel. How's the air filter? Once you have air fuel and spark nailed down, and the problem is still there (which it probably won't be) then you move to more glamorous situations. Oh and don't forget to update your signature with all the facts about your bike that needs to be known to help. Otherwise it will be ugly lol

Comment

updated my signature guys, thanks for the tips. just gonna pop the tank off clean the air filter and reseal the airbox, replace the boots, might as well clean up the carbs at that point, and start going thru some of the wiring (probably upgrade to the pigtail weatherpack connectors since I have little electrical knowledge and that seems the easiest). anything else I should do at this point while its apart to save having to dissasemble again again right away?? and Steve I'm not sure if you were talking to me but i'm out of town this weekend otherwise I would've love to join

Comment

Might as well do your valve adjustments while the tank and carbs are off. Take measurements first, find out what shims you need, then you can clean carbs while the shims are on the way. Unless you're rich enough to buy enough Berryman's to do overnight soaks on all four carbs at the same time, then it's going to take a few days anyhow.

Comment

As for the stalling.

1.)Check your charging system
                    2.)Check your Spark!
                    3.)Consider doing the coil Mod.

If you have a limping R/R or Stator, you won't have enough Juice going to your coils, and you'll get weak spark and and your engine will Stall often, or have trouble starting up Period...especially when you factor in the sudden Heat-rush of stopping, and the fact that your probably running on Old spark plug wires.

Provided that your getting 13+ Volts at Idle, your problem could Just be Old wiring!
                    1.) I would replace the old spark plug wires and Caps, if they are factory.
                    2.) Due to the excessive/corroded factory ignition wiring in these bikes, by time that Voltage gets to the coils...you probably don't have a full 12v's getting there....this gives weak spark!(the solution would be to do a search for Coil Mod, which basically jumps your coils right to the battery, giving a direct flow of Voltage.)
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2012, 02:54 PM.

Comment

thank you merc, i think you nailed it....i'll start there to get it running then head on towards the engine

Comment

Working...
                      X