Chains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chains

I have 630 chain, people tool me to go with a 530 chain. What the different????????? I have 200 series and a 6 over swing arm with is 1170 JE pitons kit and 168 web cams.

As Cowboy alluded to in your other thread, what is your primary language that you speak fluently?
    English, obviously is NOT it.

Eric

Comment

A 530 chain is a little lighter weight, cheaper, has more options like x ring o ring, and typically has better in stock availability...meaning more stores will have it in stock.

Comment

Chain

will it work with my motor, and being long. Motor is 1170 J&E with 168 WEB CAMS

Comment

Yes but you will need new sprockets that support a 530 chain and you need to buy a chain with enough links.

Comment

English

I need a new laptop it keep jumping all over the place. But thanks for the head up

Comment

How do you get a bike like that and not know the answer to the question?

I would stick to the heavier bigger stock chain if i had all that HP.
              I run a RK 630SO and it's a solid chain.

Tank

Comment

If your chain is worn out I'd go with the 530. Seems 630 chains are starting to get phased out.
                Call Z1 enterprises and tell them how many links are in your chain and what sprockets you are running. They will give you the right info.
                If your chain is not worn out ride it.
                Be nice guys
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

E-Z ,run it till it's dead then change the chain n sprockets to the 530 or whatever.why fix what isn't broke yet?should change sprockets when changin to a new chain anyway?Loke Chef said!!

Comment

Originally posted by enelson2047 View Post
                    I have 630 chain, people tool me to go with a 530 chain. What the different?
                    The difference is the size of the links.

Chains get their numbers based on a couple of measurements. The two measurements involved are the PITCH, or the distance from one pin to the next, and WIDTH, the distance between the side plates.

The 630 has pins that are 6 eighths of an inch apart and plates that are 3 eighths of an inch apart. The 0 is thrown in as a bonus.

The 530 has pins that are 5 eighths of an inch apart and plates that are 3 eighths of an inch apart. The 0 is thrown in as a bonus.

Because the pins are closer together on the 530, the links are shorter, meaning you will need more links. You can do some simple math to figure out how many, you can look at conversion charts or just call Z1 when you are ready to order, they will talk you through it over the phone.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
                      How do you get a bike like that and not know the answer to the question?

I would stick to the heavier bigger stock chain if i had all that HP.
                      I run a RK 630SO and it's a solid chain.

Tank
                      your 750 might have 80 HP

A Hayabusa has double that and runs a 530 chain
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

630 or 530 shouldn't really matter in terms of "strength"?
                        Most of the 530 Busa chains I see have around 10,000lbs tensile strength.
                        (even the average 530 chain for the 750-1100's have at least 9000lbs.)

I don't know how "accurate" these numbers are...but that's what I'm seeing.

Comment

The only reason I can think of to go with a 630 chain is for someone doing a factory correct restoration. 30 years ago the 630 chain was stronger than a 530 chain. That isn't necessarily the case anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by razor02097 View Post
                            The only reason I can think of to go with a 630 chain is for someone doing a factory correct restoration. 30 years ago the 630 chain was stronger than a 530 chain. That isn't necessarily the case anymore.
                            We don't break chains anyway, we wear them out.
                            530 chains now are stronger than 630 chains were then.

Go with the flow.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              We don't break chains anyway, we wear them out.
                              530 chains now are stronger than 630 chains were then.

Go with the flow.
                              Exactly. Plus the fact that 530 chains today are more available with many different options. From different types of sealing rings to different colors and materials.

Comment

Working...
                              X