No announcement yet.

Man am I confused!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the responses guys. FWIW I do measure the oil as it goes in, and was quite confused the first time I changed the oil that it took more than I was expecting. Turns out that it takes more if you replace the filter at the same time. So now I know that. If there is one thing that this place has taught me it's to do things by the book, even if I don't understand what the book is saying at first. :-)

From all that you have said I think it is highly likely that (a) the bike has had some work done in the past, and (b) it sounds like the valve seals need replacing. When I have ridden the bike it goes really well. But I have no way of measuring how well it should run because I have no other GS1100 to compare it to. It is so different to ride from my Harley that comparisons are fairly fruitless.

Good thing is that the compression numbers sound really good. The main thing is that they are quite consistent between cylinders. I suspect that once I get the head sorted out it will run as well as it ever has.

Oh, and John - just read your thread re replacing seals. You are one clever bloke! I was thinking of taking the whole head to get serviced at a reputable local place because I think I'm out of my depth on this one. Plus I would love to get the head blasted/cleaned up while they're at it. I'm confident I can get the head on and off ok and set up the cams, etc. But doing that is pushing my abilities to the limit!
    Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2012, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X