Starter clutch issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter clutch issue?

Yesterday, I wanted to start my GS 1000 and allthough I could hear the whine coming from the starter motor, the engine was not turning over
    I was convinced the issue came from the one way starter clutch but to my amazement, I discovered that the bolt holding the stator was loose so as the stator itself...
    Apparently the PO had not used loctite on the main bolt to secure the stator!
    The end of the crankshaft took a bit of a beating in the process but I hope it will not stop me putting it all together again?
    Any opinion?

sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Use a fine file to dress off any high spots on the crank and the rotor.
    Bolt them back together, making sure the rotor does not wobble.
    Remove the bolt, apply some Loc-Tite, put it back together and RIDE.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

my rotor came loose on my GS1k. fortunately caught it before it did any damage.
      cleaned it up, lightly lapped the rotor on the end of the crank with fine valve grinding paste,refitted, loctited and torqued the bolt up. never had the same problem since
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Don't forget to change the oil and filter also.And make sure everything turns free and operates propper as this has happened to me twice now and both times taking the starter with it.This time it will get the method Agemax has said,which is also the same thing Rapid ray told me to do.
        But now i need to locate yet another starter.

Comment

i did the work on mine this evening,though in much worse condition than yours,i had to do a little modification i will let you know how it turns out,letting it sit overnight for the loctite to harden up good.
          mine was so worn that tightenening it bound up the starter clutch.with my mod i tightened it down good and the starter rotor turns freely now as well as the reduction gear even though tightened down with an impact(ingersol rand titanium) used to snap u bolts on fords with this thing back in my mechanic days.
          praying over it now lol. the oil wasn't near as bad as the last time this happened.
          for what it's woth if anyone cares that is.

Comment

so far so good on mine, how did u make out?

Comment

Thats the ROTOR thats bolted to the crank. While the starter clutch is off add the loctite to the 3 bolts that hold it to the rotor too. Take some 120 and wrap it around the crank and polish the burrs off and your good to go.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Dave beat me to it. Recommend some LocTite on the shaft as well as the nut when you reassemble.

Comment

Working...
                  X