Does everything here look ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does everything here look ok?

I don't know how much you will be able to tell from these pics, but after help from you guys here I have taken the head off my engine so that I can attend to the valve seals. For a 30 years old bike compression is really good which leads me to think that maybe some work has been done by a PO - can you tell from these pics? The bike has apparently done around 60 000 miles.

My main issue has been burning oil, esp at start up which I now believe to be leaky valve seals.

Looks good to me.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Looks good to me.

yup i second that...

Comment

Runs good and good compression means is good. These things will go for many miles even when neglected.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thanks guys! The main thing that stands out to me is how filthy it is! Oh well - at least the head will be getting disassembled and blasted. I am hoping that once I have the engine back together it will run perfectly. It was running well for the most part before but sometimes it would get a bit hesitant. It's weird - sometimes it would run beautifully and then the next time it would stall when I pulled up at a red light. Or give out a few pops from the carbs.

Oh well, I'll see how it all goes once the new seals are in. I kinda don't mind doing all this stuff because I have learnt so much getting this bike running.

Comment

Jimmy,

Cant see any apparent woe.

they dont like like high comp pistons, just bores are in good nick.

Cheers John

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
              ....at least the head will be getting disassembled and blasted.....
              make sure you get all the blast media out of it before putting it back together.... hate blasting with a passion as a 15 minutes media blast turns into hours of cleaning. far better to get it dipped and cleaned imo. or leave it tbh... pub it down with paper and wire wool.... then paint

Comment

Your that far so why not pull the jugs and pistons and do the wear checks too. Freshen the bores and new rings and it will be good to go the rest of your life most likely.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You have dropped the cam chain in the tunnel. Fish it out and wire it up before you turn the engine over even a little.

Comment

Yeah I was wondering who would notice the cam chain! It's difficult to keep track of it and take the head off at the same time.

Chuck you may be right. I had intended doing the rings until I got such good readings on my compression tests. I'll have a bit more of a think about that. It would be good just to get the barrel off to clean it better.

Did anyone notice the missing studs? Some of the stud nuts were rusted onto the studs so the whole stud would come out. At least none is broken.

Comment

They come out easy with a telescopic magnet.
                      Nothing to worry about as long as you retrieve it before turning the crank and hold tension on it.

Eric

Comment

The compression may be great but that doesnt tell if the wrist pins are worn, maybe theres some out of round in the pin holes on the piston..like Dales 1000 piston was, broke circlips.. That sort of stuff still needs considered and what the heck, 1 more gasket and you can be down there in no time. ( Just me ) but i would rather go the extra steps and be sure than roll the dice and hope im right.
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'm with Chuck on this.
                          One more $20 bill spent on a gasket and a couple of pear-shaped O-rings...
                          and you could have a fresh cylinder hone among other things like peace of mind.

Eric

Comment

Time spent pizzed hurts more than time spent riding anyday!!!!

Comment

Ok ok! You convinced me! I already have the gasket anyway... I hope you guys are happy now. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X