camshaft chan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

camshaft chan

I found that several pieces from the 1977 gs750 will fit my 1980 gs850g, so for the $50 i spent, i made out rather well.
    problem is #1 cyl is gummed up w/ a "sandy, really coarse rusty material" and #4 has water in it, but no rust.
    I am soaking al 4 cyls w/WD40 in hopes i can remove head.
    problem is i screwed up and let the timing chain wrap itself
    any ideas?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2012, 04:16 PM. Reason: misspelled

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. ROLLERCOASTER4K,

If you dropped the cam chain into the crankcase, fish it out with a clothes hanger. Carefully turn the motor to align the ignition timing marks and reinstall the cams. Have you ever tried PB Blaster?

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Use marvel mystery oil or transmission oil. Heck a penetrating oil will work better than WD-40 which is basically a water displacement.
      What do you mean about the cam chain?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Use marvel mystery oil or transmission oil. Heck a penetrating oil will work better than WD-40 which is basically a water displacement.
        What do you mean about the cam chain?
        i did not drop the camshaft chain into the motor. while trying to turn motor over with socket (cyl head removed) the chain wrapped itself over the crank and now it is bound up tight

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Hi Mr. ROLLERCOASTER4K,

If you dropped the cam chain into the crankcase, fish it out with a clothes hanger. Carefully turn the motor to align the ignition timing marks and reinstall the cams. Have you ever tried PB Blaster?

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          i did not drop the camshaft chain into the motor. while trying to turn motor over with socket (cyl head removed) the chain wrapped itself over the crank and now it is bound up tight

Comment

Try gripping the chain and pulling up as you try to turn the engine the opposite way..just easily at first and if it doesnt feel like its gonna unwrap then DONT FORCE IT..At that point youll probably have to pull the jugs to get it unwrapped.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Did you take off the cam chain tensioner? Cam caps?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

... the head is off...

Comment

Originally posted by sparki View Post
                  ... the head is off...
                  How?

Comment

How?
                    ?? - sorry, you've lost me....

the op mentioned that the head was already off...

Originally posted by ROLLERCOASTER4K View Post
                    ... (cyl head removed) ...
                    and you replied

Did you take off the cam chain tensioner? Cam caps?
                    to which my response was simply advising that the head was already off... so it simply wouldn't make any difference in removing the cam caps

... the cam chain couldn't have locked up on the crank sprocket if it had been on even if the tensioner was out... jump sprockets on the cams sure... but not lock up on the crank

hope that helps clear the confusion

Comment

Fish the chain out with a telescoping magnet, while holding tension on the chain at the rear of the engine,
                      rotate the crankshaft back and forth a little using the 19 mm nut on the end of the crankshaft.
                      It will free itself and you can start over.
                      I hang the chain off of the back-bone frame rail with a coat hanger.

Eric

Comment

Shoot! I thought he said he had it wrapped around a cam shaft
                        I really need to pay more attention to details.

Comment

Can you get the cylinder off?

Comment

when i did that i broke the 19mm bolt free

Comment

thanx to all the responses.
                              i finally said SREW IT and, using the motor as a counter balance, grabbed the chain, and dropped the weight of the motor which freed the chain YIPPEE

Comment

Working...
                              X