No announcement yet.

Recent sputtering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I tested the petcock and then replaced the spark plugs. While I had the side panels off I played around with electrical connections. I can take a picture if needed but there is a black box just to the left of the fuse box with two plugs going in a the bottom. With the bike running if I pull the plugs towards me (increasing the connection I assume) then it runs normally. Without this extra pressure it runs rough. Is there any way to repair this without replacing?

Comment

The black box with two plugs is likely the ignitor- it likes clean connections, or it will behave erratically; contact cleaner, fine sandpaper, etc. But this doesn't explain gas in pod #1.
      So you tested petcock ? In "on" or "res" spot, no gas flowed when bike was off? but flowed well when you sucked on vacuum line-and no gas appeared in vac line? best to use clear vinyl tubing as vac line during testing!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        So you tested petcock ? In "on" or "res" spot, no gas flowed when bike was off? but flowed well when you sucked on vacuum line-and no gas appeared in vac line? best to use clear vinyl tubing as vac line during testing!
        Yes to everything, with the exception of clear tubing. There was no gas in the vacuum line when sucking on it, and I figured if any was coming through I would have tasted it. If you think I could have missed it I will retry with clear tubing. Would running a long piece and watching it while the bike was running accomplish the same thing?

Comment

Your petcock is good- no need for further proof. Gas in #1 must be related to kickstand use combined with leaky float needle seat- do you still have a centerstand? if so, try using it.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I do have a centerstand, it just needs to be put on the bike. I have been meaning to do that though. Also, with the ignitor, if cleaning the contacts doesn't help, would it be worth re soldering the connections inside? I would like to avoid replacing if possible

Comment

It sounds like just a bad connections there if all it takes is to reposition the wires a little and it runs better. Take off the cover of the ignitor and see if there are any loose wires that need to be resoldered. There are other members here that can explain how to look at the circuit board and determine what may need to be resolder.

I performed a search on this subject a few weeks ago and there was a thread that explains this process.
              1979 GS850G
              2004 SV650N track bike
              2005 TT-R125 pit bike
              LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Hey guys, I just wanted to let everyone know I solved the problem. On of the tabs that runs from the plug up to the circut board had cracked. A little resoldering and we are back in business!

Comment

Working...
                X