Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve guide seat height spec?

Hi guys,
    So I dropped my cylinder off at the machinist to get the new guides in. He was wondering what the actual spec is of the valve guides seating. Thinking about it now it seems to me that it shouldn't matter too much as the distance that does matter is the one between the valve seat and the end of the valve stem. The guide doesn't really determine the travel of the stem. What do you guys think?

I did a forum search, checked the manual, and did some googling but couldn't find anything. Any of you guys might know?

Its a 78 GS750.

Thanks!

PM or call RapidRay (a member of this forum) Doesn't he say that he has been a Suzuki machinist for over twenty years,
    he should know the spec. off the top of his head.
    Or probably Blowerbike (another forum member)
    Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2012, 07:05 PM.

Comment

I don't know if they are all the same, but on the 4V 1100 head the valve guides have a small circular ring around them. The guide is pressed in from the topside down until this small ring seats against the head casting. For a relatively stock motor there shouldn't be anything else to it. However, if you are running some really big cams you will need to check the clearance between the top of the valve guide and the underside of the valve spring retainer at full lift. Sometimes the valve guides will have to be cut down if there is a lack of adequate clearance. But unless you have a highly modified motor with really big cams, this shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

If he is using oem guides, he needs to use the clips off of your old guides on the new ones. They determine the seated location of the guides. If he is using ours, the guide has a flange on it.

I would be apprehensive leaving my head with someone who doesn't know this.
        Speed Merchant
        http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
          If he is using oem guides, he needs to use the clips off of your old guides on the new ones. They determine the seated location of the guides. If he is using ours, the guide has a flange on it.

I would be apprehensive leaving my head with someone who doesn't know this.
          Well its a place called Alec's Automotive. All the mechanics I've talked to locally take their machining work to this place. As well as a few recommendations from local GSR members. But yeah it would have been nice if they'd known this rather than me have to go fish around the internet for that kind of info. Thanks for that! By the way just checked out your site. Pretty cool

Comment

Working...
          X