help timing please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help timing please

so i feel like im not timing my motor correctly. what is the position of the cylinders when at tdc? is 1 and 4 supposed to be at the top of the head?
    '82 gs1100gl

Originally posted by roux1100 View Post
    so i feel like im not timing my motor correctly. what is the position of the cylinders when at tdc? is 1 and 4 supposed to be at the top of the head?
    '82 gs1100gl
    Trick question??? tdc means TOP DEAD CENTER. Plenty of posts on here about checking timing- understand it fully BEFORE you go messing with it. Is this the bike with the camchain tensioner issue? If so, also review correct method of re-installing tensioner assembly.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

There is a trap for the unwary with the '82 GS1100G. I have one, and apparently it is one of the few models that doesn't have a TDC mark under the points cover. To make sure I got everything right I had to buy a little stamped metal plate to install under the ignition timing bit so I could line everything up properly. It's a Suzuki part and it's still available through Suzuki - costs about $8-9. It allowed me to install a Dynatek ignition.

Comment

i knew i wasnt crazy!! i couldnt find the timing mark so i just put #1 at tdc by hand. this thing is driving me nuts. not looking forward to tearing down the motor again to see if my valves are getting stuck open or something.

Comment

Working...
        X