Valve Gasket on 650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Gasket on 650

Ok so I changed out my valve gasket and half moons (they were leaking). The problem is that I'm getting some seepage on the front, at the chain 'bump'. on the head side there was a bump-out of plastic, assuming it was a chain guard:

(I've cleaned off all the old black silicone)

The new gasket didn't have a cut out for it, so it pushed the gasket up a bit. I torqued down the valve cover bolts. I don't dare force them further, but I'm leaking oil from there.

Thoughts?

That "bump" needs to get pushed down flush with the top surface of the head.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Looking at various diagrams I can't see how that'd push down in any way without me completely rebuilding the engine. I can't find any definitive photos that it's supposed to be flush. Not that I don't believe you Steve, I just can't see how it would be.

The one thing I did notice while looking at the fiche was that the original gasket seemed to go around the chain guide 'bump' while the new gasket had a more solid tab at the front of the gasket.

It looks like the PO used a lot of extra Ultra Black to get around this issue. I'd prefer to avoid doing that if possible. Do you all think maybe if I did some careful surgery on the gasket that I might fix it that way or am I better off just using the Permatex to give me that little bit of an extra seal?

Comment

If you can magnify this pic, I think you'll see your "bump" is flush(or below) head surface. This area was prone to leak - later model 650's added a extra cover screw in this area.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          If you can magnify this pic, I think you'll see your "bump" is flush(or below) head surface. This area was prone to leak - later model 650's added a extra cover screw in this area.
          No it looks like the chain guide that is causing the bump is missing in that picture. The bit that looks flush is the notches it sits in.

I noticed that for my year there are two engine codes. I, of course, have an earlier one without the extra bolt.

I have a feeling i'm going to have to take the cover off again and do some Xacto surgery on the gasket so it sits properly. Either that or use some Permatex there to get a better seal. I just wont leave the globs on there like the PO did.

FYI I thought I had a picture of the gasket. I did, but it had the offending end cut off the photo, of course.

Comment

That is your front cam chain guide and it should indeed sit flush with the head. You'll see the notch cut out for it to sit in. Just try pushing it down with your thumb (make sure it hasn't dropped out of position at the bottom).
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Well perhaps I was prematurely freaking out. The guide did slide right back where it belonged. The old gasket must have been stuck to it and pulled it up slightly when removed.

The leak is also gone. I'm guessing here, so if this is BS please call me out on it, but I think the gasket just needed to saturate or something. I can't explain any other reason it would just stop. Glad it did though!

Thanks for the feedback guys and sorry for doubting you. I should have known better than to do that.

Comment

Working...
              X