Another clutch adjustment issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another clutch adjustment issue.

This time on an 83 550. I'm attempting to get the 550 in for certification this week coming and one issue I noticed is that I couldn't get neutral when the bike is running. Talking with my pro wrench, the other day, he says the clutch cable needs adjusting so I attempted to sort that today.

I followed the instructions in the manual to a T and now I have clutch drag (creeps in gear), I can't shift out of first gear without a lot of upward pressure combined with revving the engine and can still not get neutral.

I haven't had a look at the clutch disks or basket yet but when I was having the oil pressure "issue" a few weeks back, I had the clutch out a few times and the disks were in spec and seemed true, as I recall. I don't recall any notching of the tangs on the basket either. It has fresh 10/40 dino oil too.

I'm going to fiddle with it again tomorrow but I'm wondering if there are any words of wisdom from the clutch gurus?

Cheers all,
    Spyug

Adjust the clutch tighter (less freeplay) so it releases more fully.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks Ed. that's the conclusion I came to lying in bed at 4.00 am this morning. If that doesn't do it then I guess I'll be having a closer look at the clutch basket and disks. I hope I can avoid that however.

Cheers mate.
      Spyug.

Comment

And here I thought I was the only one, who was with issues on the clutch.....

I just can't get it sorted, until I get the bike running, to make sure it's working or not..

Hope you get it sorted out...

Comment

Something that is seldom mentioned is clutch cable stretch. When they age, they sometimes stretch when pressure is applied, kind of like a metal rubber band. Just something to consider.

Comment

Adjust the cable first, that's most likely your issue. Adjust at the lever for the most slack you can give it, then adjust where it goes into the sprocket cover (you can see the worm gear if you take off the front cover) then adjust at the lever again.

Comment

Thanks guys. I started with the adjuster under the side cover and tightened it down a bit and that solved the hard shifting and inability to get neutral. The lever pull is still a tad high so I'll continue playing with that.

I believe the bike is good to go for certification but I'm going to put on stainless brake lines first. The brakes work but they are too soft for my liking and since this will be my daily rider this season I want it to stop as well as it goes.

I'm planning for a Thursday or Friday morning cert test so I can have wheels for the weekend.

I'll let you know ho it goes.

Thanks all,
              Spyug

Comment

Sounding good......

did you make your order with Raymond.....you should get them by the time you need to go and do your cert....

hope to see you on the roads soon.....

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  Something that is seldom mentioned is clutch cable stretch. When they age, they sometimes stretch when pressure is applied, kind of like a metal rubber band. Just something to consider.
                  +1 on that...
                  thats what i think it is...

good.luck
                  Xxx

Comment

Have you lubed the clutch cable yet? Oftentimes that will alleviate a stiff feeling clutch pull.

Comment

i had this problem on my 750 i found 2 things 1 the sprocket cover was just a little loose easily fixed with some locktight and re torquing all the bolts and 2 the cable was junk it had a kink in it so for $12 i replaced it with a new cable and have had a nice clutch operation every since i know the cover is a easy thing to over look but if its loose the pushrod will push the cover away from the engine instead of opening the clutch basket

Comment

Working...
                      X