Acceptabel Oil consumption ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acceptabel Oil consumption ?

I've been adding a half litre to my '83 GS1100E every 1500 km.

It has 37,000 km on it and runs fine in a good mix of city/hwy.

Does that sound excessive?

No......

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

whew! thats a relief...
      -Mark
      Boston, MA
      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
      sigpic
      1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Putting that into Amurrican units of measure, that's about a quart every 1800 miles.

I have heard it said that it's not worth worrying about until you only get 1000 miles to the quart.

That is, as long as you are not throwing a blue cloud behind you.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I used about 2 liters over the last 3000 miles, but that was almost all over 80 mph and I suspect a shift rod or countershaft seal leak as well.

Comment

I was at my local Ford dealership yesterday having my car worked on and asked about oil consumption.

He indicated that a litre every 1000 km was normal for their new line of truck engines. Dealerships are worried if customers don't change their oil at the recommended intervals, they may not have any oil left in the sumps.

Their new engine lineup is state of the art but I find a litre/1000km unacceptable.

Comment

The 650G engines were known to use oil at a greater rate than other GS engines, and also other 650 Class machines. It's just their nature.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                The 650G engines were known to use oil at a greater rate than other GS engines, and also other 650 Class machines. It's just their nature.
                If true, then something is wrong with the engines. I don't accept the "It's just their nature" explanation.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

My G was using a quart every 1000 mi., I did a valve job, new valve seals and rings. It's down to one every 4000 or better depending on how I ride it. In my experience 1 every 1000 no matter what the engine is excessive. My 02 4Runner with 150k still doesn't use any between changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercaholic View Post
                    I was at my local Ford dealership yesterday having my car worked on and asked about oil consumption.

He indicated that a litre every 1000 km was normal for their new line of truck engines. Dealerships are worried if customers don't change their oil at the recommended intervals, they may not have any oil left in the sumps.
                    Most vehicles under 10 yrs old have an ECM which will shut off the fuel pump when the oil level gets too low. So catastrophic failure is avoided.
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      If true, then something is wrong with the engines. I don't accept the "It's just their nature" explanation.
                      Yup. Even new they remarked that they engines used more oil than the Honda and Yamaha 650 engines they compared to.
                      I'm not about to speculate about why, perhaps someone knows or thinks they know the reason.
                      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                      X