valves and springs and shims... oh my..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valves and springs and shims... oh my..

Well im considering replacing all of the above. and while I'm at it clean up the valve cover.. I may even re-ring and hone cylinders... Google wasnt friendly to me today and I'm having a hard time locating the parts, specifically the valves.Any help would be well... helpful.

-Mark
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Why would you need valves?

Are they damaged?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
      Well im considering replacing all of the above. and while I'm at it clean up the valve cover.. I may even re-ring and hone cylinders... Google wasnt friendly to me today and I'm having a hard time locating the parts, specifically the valves.Any help would be well... helpful.

-Mark
      Boulevard Suzuki can get you valves if needed:

'83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

truthfully, I havnt looked in there yet. Saw some puffs of smoke from the #4 exhaust pipe yesterday toward the end of a 60 mile ride and got nervous. I have put off checking/adjusting my shims because the weather has been so good. I think I will check the clearences today, and have some piece of mind, or a nervous breakdown, whichever comes first.

thanks guys
        Mark
        -Mark
        Boston, MA
        Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
        sigpic

Comment

The key to correct diagnosis of potential problems is firstly to have as much information available as possible, rather than randomly throwing money at replacing parts that may be perfectly OK.

So first start with measuring / setting valve clearances, so that you know there are no valves with little / no clearance that will affect compression. Record all your readings.

Then measure compression using the correct method (warm engine; wide open throttle; all plugs removed; good battery). Add a little thin oil to one cylinder at a time through the spark plug hole, and re-measure the compression for each cylinder. Record all your readings.

Then compare your readings to specifications for your engine in the workshop manual. Depending upon how far out of specification your readings are, then you can start narrowing down the real cause of any potential problem.

By following a structured, logical diagnostic program and recording all results, you will end up knowing exactly what you are dealing with compared to the OEM specifications. You will save money by not randomly replacing parts that may still be serviceable (eg. by lapping valve sealing faces, you will still get long service out of them, provided they are not burnt to a crisp from riding with zero valve clearance).
          1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
            The key to correct diagnosis of potential problems is firstly to have as much information available as possible, rather than randomly throwing money at replacing parts that may be perfectly OK.

So first start with measuring / setting valve clearances, so that you know there are no valves with little / no clearance that will affect compression. Record all your readings.

Then measure compression using the correct method (warm engine; wide open throttle; all plugs removed; good battery). Add a little thin oil to one cylinder at a time through the spark plug hole, and re-measure the compression for each cylinder. Record all your readings.

Then compare your readings to specifications for your engine in the workshop manual. Depending upon how far out of specification your readings are, then you can start narrowing down the real cause of any potential problem.

By following a structured, logical diagnostic program and recording all results, you will end up knowing exactly what you are dealing with compared to the OEM specifications. You will save money by not randomly replacing parts that may still be serviceable (eg. by lapping valve sealing faces, you will still get long service out of them, provided they are not burnt to a crisp from riding with zero valve clearance).
            This should be a sticky! Perform maintenance. Followed structured and logical analysis. Measure don't assume. Wish more people around here would do this sort of thing.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Well, pulled the valve cover off, as feared my valves are tight.. Could only measure 1 of the exhaust shims.0025, and 2 of my intake, .0015 and .002....
              -Mark
              Boston, MA
              Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
              sigpic

Comment

Plus, that puff of smoke is most likely hard valve stem seals, which you can replace without taking the head off. If the oil consumption isn't very high, you can put that off until winter

You seem determined to do thing in the most difficult way possible

Stop torturing your bike, you'll like it even more once you've cured it ails
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Going to adjust the valves first and see where I am. I had low numbers when I did a compression test a month back.
                  -Mark
                  Boston, MA
                  Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                  sigpic

Comment

If you have to go through the head, based on the number of heads that go through our shop, I don't believe you will need valves.

Stem wear is not usually an issue with these Suzukis. Only reason to replace a valve would be if you bent one, and if you did, the lash wouldn't be tight.

They will tighten up with years of pounding on the seats, but that can all be made good with machining.

I would assume, at most, you might need guides and seals. The rest would be labor.
                    Speed Merchant
                    http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
                      If you have to go through the head, based on the number of heads that go through our shop, I don't believe you will need valves.

Stem wear is not usually an issue with these Suzukis. Only reason to replace a valve would be if you bent one, and if you did, the lash wouldn't be tight.

They will tighten up with years of pounding on the seats, but that can all be made good with machining.

I would assume, at most, you might need guides and seals. The rest would be labor.

Jay,

What valve to guide clearance do you recommend for 8V GS engines running your bronze guides?
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

We usually run the intakes at .0008 / .001 and the exhaust .001 / .0013

We install the guide, then hone it to the Serdi pilot we will use that is based on the valve stem size.
                        Speed Merchant
                        http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

BTW, once I get my valve shims in order (hope it cures the low compression numbers 115,90,95,105), synch and sort the carbs, can I expect a power/torque increase as well? She's no slouch now..

TIA
                          -Mark
                          -Mark
                          Boston, MA
                          Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X