Engine knocks after oil change '85 GS550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
    Where on the engine is the knock the loudest? Where are you?
    I went out earlier to try to take a video to demonstrate it. Turns out, if you're not on the bike, you can't even hear it. I can feel it in the handlebars and the gearshift, and I can hear it when I'm sitting on the seat, but if I step off, it's really hard to even hear it.

I picked up a mechanic's stethoscope the other day. Perhaps I'll be able to use that to pinpoint the source.

I'm in Ohio/sitting on the bike.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2012, 08:46 PM. Reason: Added location

Comment

Originally posted by volvo64 View Post
      I went out earlier to try to take a video to demonstrate it. Turns out, if you're not on the bike, you can't even hear it. I can feel it in the handlebars and the gearshift, and I can hear it when I'm sitting on the seat, but if I step off, it's really hard to even hear it.

I picked up a mechanic's stethoscope the other day. Perhaps I'll be able to use that to pinpoint the source.

I'm in Ohio/sitting on the bike.
      Well Ohio is too far for me to drop by some afternoon and have a listen. hehe

Does it knock when the bike is running, and not in gear? Does it only knock if the bike is on the centerstand, running and in gear?

You only changed the oil and filter, correct? You didnt remove any plug caps, change spark plugs, set points, remove any fuses, adjust the chain, or anything else, just oil and filter
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

sorry for the long time out here.

Here's what's happening with the bike: It's gone from a totally painless, reliable ride to a bike that won't even start, all starting with that oil change. I'm not 'blaming' the oil change, but everything's gone to hell since it.

In addition to the knocking we were discussing, the bike started having some serious battery charging issues. A little history first: at the beginning of June, I picked up the Owner's Manual and did my first maintenance on the bike. During that, I found that the open type battery was pretty low on fluid, so I bought some distilled water and filled it to the correct capacity. No problems charging before or after I did that. At the beginning of July, I changed the oil. Then the knocking started. A week-ish later the battery stopped charging. I pulled it out and brought it into Batteries Plus for testing, and the guy there saw that the battery was bone-dry, even though I had filled it up a month before. I took it home and filled it up with water (but not electrolytes) and tried charging it, no dice. So I brought it back in to Batteries Plus, and the guy sold me a sealed battery to replace the open type battery that I brought in. He said there would be no difference. I got that home, took it for a couple of rides, then the battery died/the bike wouldn't run on idle (a symptom of a dead battery). So I placed the bike on a trickle charger, and the trickle charger refuses to charge it. Brought the battery back in to B.P, they charged it overnight and said it was fine. Got it home yesterday, put it back in the bike today, it turns over but doesn't push enough to catch the engine.

(At this point I walked outside to check the status of the battery/charge. The bike turned over quick and easy and caught just fine)

So an hour ago I put the bike back on the trickle charger to see what happens. As noted above, it seems to have charged the battery. I'm going out for a ride (haven't been out in two weeks, grr...) and we'll see what happens from here.

Honestly at this point, if the charging is still an issue (I have a bad feeling it will be), I'm going to give up on self-diagnosis and take it into a professional. I know a little about small engines, but clearly not enough, and with my work/job search/lack of funds, I'm not in a position to devote a lot of resources (time or money) into this. Hopefully by next summer I'll be in a better position.

Will update in a few hours!

Comment

Volvo, have you already gone through the stator papers and made sure your charging system is working properly? If not, do that as, like we keep saying, the "professionals" won't want to really help you without relieving you of a lot of money.

Where in Ohio do you live in case someone is close enough and willing enough to lend a hand? I'm here in Dayton if you want an extra set of eyes.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I read through the first steps, checking the circuit, and unless I read it wrong, I thought the circuit was OK.

I rode for about 2 hours today with no problems. I had the idle turned up a little high though (about 1300) though. I'll find out if the charging system is working soon enough though.

I'm in Dayton too. I'll PM you and maybe we can find some time to get together and take a look at it.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. volvo64,

It seems I have not properly welcomed you to the forums. Start here: New Members, CLICK HERE!! and start reading. The "mega-welcome" contains a couple of maintenance lists. You must properly address each item on the lists in order to have a safe and reliable 30 year old machine. Skipping steps or taking shortcuts are not good for motorcycles and other living things. Visit my little website for "how to" guides that address most of the normal maintenance procedures and also a lot of other information.

Use Rotella-T 15w40 diesel engine oil for your motorcycle. Other diesel oils are OK too (Castrol Tection 15w40, Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40, etc). I buy whatever's on sale when the time comes. The diesel engine oil has more zinc and phosphorous additives that these old air-cooled engines love. AND it's much cheaper than "motorcycle" oil.

You have a 30 year old motorcycle that probably needs 20 years worth of maintenance. You will have to spend some time and money getting everything back into roadworthy condition. For example, how old are the tires? See my website for how to check the date code. I would not ride on a tire more than 4 years old. Have you serviced the brake system? Chances are the calipers and master cylinders need to be rebuilt, and the brake lines are supposed to be replaced every two years. I'll bet they've never been replaced. When you do replace them, use stainless steel braided lines. At the very least you need to change the brake fluid and check the pads. But remember, taking shortcuts can be dangerous. Go through the maintenance lists and do it right the first time. You'll be glad you did.

Note: See the r/r and stator guides on my website and check in the electrical section for more charging system troubleshooting tips and procedures.

Welcome to the forum. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2012, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Wow, OK... No, I have not seen that welcome thread. I've seen a number of 'these things are common issues with your bike' threads, but not that one. Looks like I'll have a busy winter.

Regarding the charging system; I took it out for a ride midweek last week and again a couple days ago, and it's still running fine, and presumably charging fine too.

The knocking is still happening, but the more and more I get to know, the more it seems like that's going to be attributed to the oil I used. I'll find out soon enough.

Comment

Working...
                X